Looking for speaker suggestions

Thunder Boxes!
Dingfelder

Looking for speaker suggestions

Post by Dingfelder » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Hi all, long term lurker, first post - hoping for some speaker advice

I have an Ashdown cabinet with a 15" black widow speaker, driven by a Laney Linebacker 100 (100 at 4ohm)

I've never had the 2 working together- not sure if they pair up well or not.

Speaker is not making any sound at all, and I can see a rip in the cone
I thought a rip would buzz but not stop all sound?
Took the magnet off the cone and it seems like the coils are ok?
Speaker is 1502-DT

Just wondering A) if there is a good place to get a replacement cone for this black widow, (if it work work well with this amp head) and B) if there is an inexpensive alternative I could source to replace it?

I appreciate any thoughts - I'm in Wellington area

Dingfelder

Re: Looking for speaker suggestions

Post by Dingfelder » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Guessing by the number of replies that there isn't a good supplier around here for replacement cones...

Can anyone give me tips on how to determine if the choice coil is working? Maybe something I can check with a multi meter re the wires?

And if there is a rip in the speaker cone, is it likely that it would make zero sound? I was assuming it would still make some sound but would sound crappy?

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:46 am

Welcome to the forum!

A rip in the cone shouldn't stop all sound, unless the cone is completely detached from the coil. It will likely sound bad, especially at higher volumes.

You should be able to measure the coil with an ohm meter, though it won't necessarily measure out at the ohm rating of the speaker. It should show something in the low ohms range if the coil is intact but a very high or infinite value if the coil is broken.

No idea where to find replacement parts in this country...

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:44 pm

I'm guessing the 1502-DT was a replacement to the original speaker.Never heard of Ashdown using Peavey speakers.

If that's what or if you need to replace then Peavey gear is through the Rock Shop.... or at least used to be.

There is a number of outlets that supply speakers. If you can tell me what type of Ashdown cabinet you have I may be able to figure out what they used.

Welcome aboard to BPNZ
Slave to the Rhythm Changes