Speaker to Amp Cables

Thunder Boxes!
nzsimon
Silver Member

Post by nzsimon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:53 pm

AudioEnz wrote:The "10 biggest lies in Audio" was written by the publisher of The Audio Critic. He managed to published a rave review of a pair of speakers... from a company in which he had a partial ownership.

If anyone wishes to believe a piece written by someone with a (um, how should I put this?) tenuous grasp on ethics and truth, then feel free to go ahead.
As a publisher I would like to think you would have been above passing off opinion as fact here is what the man himself has to say about your claim and yes I am happy to talk about bass relevant subjects and as such helping people not being sucked in to outrageous claims that cable will give you the holy grail of tone is just part of the service

Sent: Saturday, 24 February 2007 5:31 a.m.
To: Simon Adams

1. The loudspeaker I wrote an article about was an engineering exercise in which I had participated. It was a prototype. Only several months later was a company formed of which I became a part owner and which started to make the speaker. When the article was written nobody was an owner.

2. None of the above is actually relevant. If a serial murderer declares that 2 + 2 = 4, then it's a fact regardless of his ethics. "The 10 Biggest Lies in Audio" was about scientific facts that could be easily confirmed from engineering books. It merely refuted unscientific nonsense propagated by the untutored; it could have been written by any educated technologist.

P.A.
believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see J.R.R Tolkien
Director of Jansen http://www.jansen.co.nz

AudioEnz

Post by AudioEnz » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:22 pm

nzsimon wrote:As a publisher I would like to think you would have been above passing off opinion as fact here is what the man himself has to say about your claim
As a publisher I am careful what I say in print. I remain happy with my previous comments about the author of that article.

His response does bring up further issues regarding his credibility. In his email to you he admits to giving a rave review to a speaker that was not "real" - it was not a production speaker from a company. He admits to giving a rave review to a speaker that he helped design. Once again, I must point to that author's tenuous grasp on ethics and truth.

I previously mentioned that the subject of audio cables makes some people apoplectic with rage. NZSimon's continual angry postings about hi-fi cables in a non-related forum is a great example of this.

Basically, there is one great difference between (for want of a better phrase) "cable believers" and "cable disbelievers". Cable believers like what they hear and get on with their lives. Cable disbelievers, on the other hand, insist that people must only agree with the views of the "disbelievers" and will take every opportunity to insist that only their views are allowed. It's a sad way to approach life.

In a bass forum I would have thought that there were more important topics to discuss. Such as, should bassists who use picks have their fingers broken as punishment :D
Michael Jones
Cort SJB-3 acoustic bass guitar

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:03 am

AudioEnz wrote:
In a bass forum I would have thought that there were more important topics to discuss. Such as, should bassists who use picks have their fingers broken as punishment :D

Haha careful mate, you'll have them up in arms! :wink:

Good to see some healthy debate, and some damn interesting reading in this thread. I'm a complete noob when it comes to any of this stuff, but nonetheless, very interesting stuff.

AudioEnz

Post by AudioEnz » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:47 am

DanAntunovich wrote:Haha careful mate, you'll have them up in arms! :wink:
But if their fingers were broken then I shouldn't be in too much danger :D
Michael Jones
Cort SJB-3 acoustic bass guitar

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:10 am

LOL - I know it was a jest (pick v fingers) and I know it is hard to digest, but some people out there really are so stupid as to think that the way they do things is the only way to do it.

I've seen so many flame wars started like that.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:45 pm

Me thinks someones getting a little testy?
Great debating guys! :lol:
All I wanted to check was that the cables I've been using are suitable!
Ok... so 18 gauge thick and as short as possible... now how hard was that to say? huh ;)

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:48 am

Length on the speaker side isnt really such a factor... thats more applicable where youre running a weak current. Amps is a measure of the number of electrons passing a givin point in a secound, volts is the measure of electrons available... well say pressure... the two combined will give you youre watts, current. There are always losses in energy transferre, but long story short the larger scale the smaller losses proportionatly. Length is an issue more so instrument side.

So yea...18 guage, length whatever is practical for youre uses..

All my posts here are bassed on basic physics put as simply as i can...
And end oh the day i drive a v8... not because its the most practicle car....but because its KOOL!! 8)