Swr working mans 300.....any good?

Thunder Boxes!
beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Re: Swr working mans 300.....any good?

Post by beagle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Yeah I've still got and gig with my old GK 400RB and 800RB heads and am still happy with them.
400RB's are small, simple, reliable and sound pretty good so I recon it should do you well.

Re: Markbass 2x10's
Never tried mine through a markbass cab. I've been using 2 of GK Neo 112 cabs (300watt 1x12") and that combo sounds really good, are very light and portable and make a very nice looking mini stack.
I would struggle to go back to non neo heavy cabs now.

Speaking of 8x10's... I've had my eye on that new Markbass classic 8x10 on trademe and have been very tempted to take my 800RB over and try it out... only weighs 40kgs is quite a small 'fridge'
great time to buy markbass if you've got the dosh
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

BacktoBassics

Post by BacktoBassics » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:14 am

Where are the GK neos sold?

I havent used 12's for about 30 yrs. Used to run a jansen 100w valve amp with a 212 cab when I 1st started out.
I have seen the bumhole of NZ.........

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:28 pm

BacktoBassics wrote:Where are the GK neos sold?

I havent used 12's for about 30 yrs. Used to run a jansen 100w valve amp with a 212 cab when I 1st started out.
Rock shop are the agents.
These are the first 12's I've owned and I dig em.
For what I'm playing (small blues & covers gigs) they suit me well. Super light, compact and a good sound.
Some reports of people blowing the speakers so they may not be well suited to loud players / big heads.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz

BacktoBassics

Post by BacktoBassics » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:27 am

Well I visited rockshop CHCH yesterday and tried an Ampeg 410 and honestly, wasnt that impressed.......well not $1100 impressed anyways.
The guy serving me didnt know anything about bass gear and suggested I go home and do my research online :shock:
I dont know about you guys but my laptop doesnt reproduce the sound of a bass rig very well at all lol.
IMO theres no substitute for hearing the gear.......if possible at a gig.....but at the very least in the shop. All the research on earth isnt going to tell you what your ears can tell you in about 30sec flat.........so I left.

I moved on to Music Planet and tried some Ashdown gear and quite liked the tone of that.

They had Mag 210's on sale for $300 so I brought one for practicing at home. If I end up back in a band I will get some of the heavier duty gear maybe from the ABM range, but for now, its a lot of sound for only $300 bucks

RS wanted $1100 for a GK210 :shock:

Antz
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: GENERATOR covers band

Post by Antz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:53 am

BacktoBassics wrote:Well I visited rockshop CHCH yesterday and tried an Ampeg 410 and honestly, wasnt that impressed.......well not $1100 impressed anyways.
The guy serving me didnt know anything about bass gear and suggested I go home and do my research online :shock:
I dont know about you guys but my laptop doesnt reproduce the sound of a bass rig very well at all lol.
IMO theres no substitute for hearing the gear.......if possible at a gig.....but at the very least in the shop. All the research on earth isnt going to tell you what your ears can tell you in about 30sec flat.........so I left.:

I second that dude ! In my small town there's not a lot of option to see/touch and hear some gear in person
And the web can give you photos and numbers on rigs but that's about it

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:19 am

BacktoBassics wrote:Well I visited rockshop CHCH yesterday and tried an Ampeg 410 and honestly, wasnt that impressed.......well not $1100 impressed anyways.
IMO theres no substitute for hearing the gear.......if possible at a gig.....but at the very least in the shop. All the research on earth isnt going to tell you what your ears can tell you in about 30sec flat.........so I left.

I moved on to Music Planet and tried some Ashdown gear and quite liked the tone of that.

They had Mag 210's on sale for $300 so I brought one for practicing at home. If I end up back in a band I will get some of the heavier duty gear maybe from the ABM range, but for now, its a lot of sound for only $300 bucks

It's always hard to tell in a shop.
Good to hear you've found something and at a really good price. At $300 you could easily buy a second one for more output if needed.

BacktoBassics

Post by BacktoBassics » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 pm

I thought I would report back about my new (to me) gear.

The bass is a Traben JOhn Moyer Signature 5 string with active pickups and aguilar preamp and two double row pickups similar to MM.

I got it 2nd hand on TM without trying it 1st, and luckily I like the sound. It is a 34" scale.

It has a 5 position pickup selector switch with single volume and 3 tone controls.

It is capable of quite a range of sounds from a deep thudding neck pickup to the twanging, middy bridge sound and lots in between.

The tone controls make a huge difference to the sound.

The neck is reasonably thin and string spacing, from memory, about 17mm. Its comfortable for me, coming from a 4 str and fairly fast.

I spent days trying to sort the neck as it was too bowed and had a few high frets. I tapped a few in and filed those that I couldnt and made a few

truss rod adjustments and have got it to the point where I can live with it. It still clicks a little but that will get lost in the mix anyways.

I will keep tweaking and no doubt it will get better. I must say though the QC at Traben leaves a bit to be desired. Some of the frets

were hugely high. I'm not sure if its a BCRich model or an original Traben, probably BC Rich so that will account for the sh*t QC.

I am running thru a Gallien-Kruger RB400iii (quite impressed with this) and the weak link, an Ashdown MAG210 speaker.

The speaker is ok, good value for money, but hates the low B and at volume farts a bit with the low E too. I agree with Foal, the sound is wooly

(but not muddy) and will do fine for now while I relearn after a 7yr break from playing .

If I find myself back in a band I will get another speaker(s).

So yeah, thats the news and weather and thanks to those who posted above :)

Cheers

Geoff :mrgreen:

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 pm

what is the front on the Mag Cab?

if it is a screwed in screen check the screws, may need slackening , tightening

my ABM115 I took the screen off and put neoprene tape on, then re-screwed the screen.
this took care of the Low B handling issue, first listen I thought it was the speaker farting.

it's a bit contentious B strings and speaker size! Some swear by 15" and others believe it's all about the actual cabinet design.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Aahhhhhh.... Interesting..... By the sound of it(pun intended), my ABM115 could do with the same treatment...... Will have to give it a go. :)
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

BacktoBassics

Post by BacktoBassics » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:09 pm

Yeah, mine has an expanded metal mesh, screwed in.

Also, I have just discovered a GK manual and apparently that the amp has a button to press for 5/6 str so am gonna try that too.
Maybe it will help.

I have always though speaker size had little to do with its depth. Its more the specs and cab tuning decide what it would handle.

Thats all witchcraft to me...............it either sounds good or it dont! :lol:

Widownz

Post by Widownz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:21 am

I live over on the west coast south island and the few times i've been over to ChCh and been into the rockshop there they are more interested in talking among themselves than actually doing their jobs.
So far they have lost out on about $5000.00 in sales to the bass rockshop up in Auckland beacuse of their service or lack there of.

BacktoBassics

Post by BacktoBassics » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Widownz wrote: I live over on the west coast south island and the few times i've been over to ChCh and been into the rockshop there they are more interested in talking among themselves than actually doing their jobs.
So far they have lost out on about $5000.00 in sales to the bass rockshop up in Auckland beacuse of their service or lack there of.

Pretty much my experience too