A half decent bass amp under $1k?

Thunder Boxes!
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

A half decent bass amp under $1k?

Post by Mr Bass Man » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:30 pm

I think I have managed to convinve my financial advisor (my darling wife) to let me buy a new bass amp.
Anything up to $1k - prefer around 500watts
I'm either looking at buying a decent head to run with my Warwick 4x10 or buying a decent combo that can run an extention cabinet (that I can get at a later date)
I don't need any fancy knobs / features etc.... I'm a simple man playing Rock covers and good volume is more important to me than fancy features!!

I'm not too keen on Warwick gear anymore - seeing as my Profet 5.1 just about blew up in the weekend!!

I am looking at:
Behringer ultrabass BX450 - thought behringer was rubbish, but have found some suprisingly good reviews online - $599 at Rock Shop
Ampeg portaflex 500 - amp looks too small / lightweight, don't know if it will have the power I need - $799 at Rock Shop
Peavey firebass 700 - 2nd hand on Trade me - had Peavey gear before and really liked it - have been offered amp head for $700
Ashdown mag600 head,1x ashdown 15"cab and 1x ashdown 2 x10" cab - $900 on Trade me 2nd hand
ASHDOWN 330-TOURING 15" BASS AMP COMBO - brand new -$1095 on trade me

anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks in advance!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

john
Gold Member

Re: A half decent bass amp under $1k?

Post by john » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:26 pm

The Peavey and the Ashdown mag600 would be my picks. The Peavey seems a bit on the steep side maybe though

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:36 pm

john wrote:The Peavey and the Ashdown mag600 would be my picks. The Peavey seems a bit on the steep side maybe though
Yeah - I kind of like the look of the Ashdown rig (even though 2nd hand) because you can use 1 cab for rehearsals / smaller gigs and both cabs for a fuller sound at regular gigs - plus it might fit in the car a bit better!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:13 pm

I've always found Peavey to be great bang for buck. Having used them for years, I only moved away because their stuff is so damn heavy, although bullet proof.

Antz
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: GENERATOR covers band

Post by Antz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Hey dude
I just got me a ampeg pf500 500W @ 4 ohms. And totally love it, running it through a fender 410 @8 ohms and think its got a heap of balls, when jamming only got main volume a bit b4 half and that's with two lead guitarist going mental :roll: can/could daisy chain another 8 ohm bin to get my 4 ohm power.
Not to many nobs to confuse you , still haven't work out completely the midrange frequency dial yet with the 1 to 5 settings . Can crank up the grain to get a real dirty sound .
Plus it has a cool purple light when it's on. Have a lookly on some of the yank sites for some better reviews
All I say is that I found my sound (finally)
But try them all out mate and see what floats ya boat !
That's my two cents worth .

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:04 pm

Yeah +1 for the Ampeg. I found it easy to use, enough grunt, just wasn't what I was after sound wise.
And I have learnt not to mix drivers eg a 2x10 bin with a 15..... Either go another 15 or another 10 to match one or the other, so maybe sell one of the bins to get another the same if going for the Ashdown?
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:33 pm

might take my bass and 4x10 to the Rock shop in takapuna tomorrow and try a couple of cabs - see how it goes...

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 pm

Keep your cab, Warwick cabs are pretty good (and this is coming from someone who can't stand their heads or basses).

Of what you've mentioned I'd go for the Ampeg PF500. A used Ashdown ABM series head would be cool but the Mag stuff is a bit cheap (but not terrible). A used GK 800RB would also be great. Peavey is boring but reliable. I'd stay away from Behringer.
Antz wrote:still haven't work out completely the midrange frequency dial yet with the 1 to 5 settings
It's to select the frequency that the midrange level cuts/boosts at. If you had your mids flat it won't do anything.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Update:-
I used a borrowed Ashdown ABM 900 EVO III for the gig and really liked it
Smooth warm tone and plenty of volume to spare.
Had the pre-gain? on about 2 (8 o'clock) because any more than that and the VU meter thing would peak in the red all the time
Main volume was half way or 12 o'clock.
The amp had a lot more features / knobs and I spent most of the break after our 1st set playing around with them to see what they do!
I think Music Planet in Takapuna retails the Ashdown ABM 900 for $1995?

The 2 things I really noticed were
1) my speakers were barely moving - if at all. With my profet the speakers in my warwick 4x10 are really pumping to get the sound out but funnily enough with this more powerful amp the speakers didn't move at all
2) The DI on my Profet must be crap (even though KP electronics tested it last year and said it was fine). I used the Ashdowns DI to go to the desk and there was no buzzing or hissing as there is when I use the DI on my profet (hense the need to use an external DI)

looks like my amp is going to be about $70 to fix, so I will probably use it until I save up for something better....

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:03 am

The ABM900 has two separate 575 watt power amps in it so unless you have two cabs it's pointless, and even then you probably don't need that much power. I'd go for the ABM500 which is the same thing but a single 575 watt amp, $1500 retail but I bet you can negotiate that by at least 10%.

Lovely amps, very "smooth" and 'rich" for solid state.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:18 am

I'd go for the Ampeg PF500. Last time I used one at an open air gig to 1000+ people, the sound man told me he didn't have me in FOH at all, I was too loud! Only reason I no longer have it is because the GB streamliner suits my double bass better, but for bass guitar it rocks.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:11 pm

They're similar power ratings so I'm sure the Ashdown would have performed equally as well, just a different sound (although still somewhat similar). I'd be happy with either but I would also go with the Ampeg cause it's half the price.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:33 pm

If I did have another cab to go with the Ashdown ABM 900, I'm sure the amp would have put out more volume / power.... but my main aim is to have 1 head and preferably only 1 cabinet.
The reason I like the Ashdown Mag600 Rig on TM is it has 2 cabs - a 1x15 and a 2x10 and used together you should get a full 600w from the amp - that way I can take 1 cab to rehearsals and both to gigs and not break my back in the process!
But someone on another forum said I would not notice much, if any difference (in volume) going from the Warwick 5.1 500w to the ashdown 600w and I'd be better off with my warwick 4x10

Either way my finances are not too good at the moment, so I'll scrape together a few $$ to pay for my amp repair and use it until I can save up for something better

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:16 pm

To each their own but I wouldn't use two cabs unless they were identical.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:34 pm

timi wrote:To each their own but I wouldn't use two cabs unless they were identical.
+1
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info