The new Ampeg V4B

Thunder Boxes!
monster
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Easy, Taranaki Symphony Orchestra

The new Ampeg V4B

Post by monster » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:16 pm

Ampeg have 'reissued' a version of their V4B, with some modern features (on the back panel). I wonder what it is like compared to the Fender Bassman 100T?
They're both 100 watters (4x6L6GC) in a vaguely similar price range, both with bigger 300W brothers. The Fenders have two channels whereas the Ampeg is more straight forward.
I wonder if it will turn up in NZ? The Rockshop stock Ampeg gear as well as Fender stuff.
AmpegV4B.jpg
The new V4B

Tim1
Gold Member

Re: The new Ampeg V4B

Post by Tim1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:00 am

Ampeg have been putting up "teaser" photos of the V4B amp in production and hinting at it for a while now. I see it has just turned up in the American market in the last few days. According to the chat on Talkbass it will be produced overseas (Korea?) which should keep the price down but hopefully will not bring with it the reliability issues that have plagued some of their recent products such as the SVT7pro.
I may be biased since I own both a Fender Bassman 100T and a Super Bassman 300, but I don't think it will have the versatility of the Fender and probably not the clean headroom either - and this is from a long term SVT man. However, I am sure it will nail that Ampeg midrange bite. The Ampeg head and cab I would like to see the Rockshop bring across is the Heritage SVT CL and Heritage 810, or the B15 reissue. In a similar vein, I do not understand why Direct Imports won't bring in the Fender Bassman 410 neo cab and we ohave to choose between the 810 or the 610. I suppose we are just too small a market place.
Last edited by Tim1 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:40 am

Looks like something I would really like to try. Hope I get a chance to

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:16 pm

For those interested, Rockshop now have the V4B in stock - here is a copy of a post I have just made on Talkbass:
As promised, here are some observations I jotted down after comparing the V4B to the Fender Bassman 100T at the Bass Rockshop in Auckland yesterday. First, thanks to the guys at the Rockshop for being so accommodating. Bear in mind these thoughts are just gut based, casual observations as I only had about twenty minutes so it is not in depth. I currently own a Bassman 100T and Super Bassman 300 and in the past have owned a much missed SVT2 nonpro and an SVT VR, so I am familiar with both companies.
I was using a Fender Jazz provided by the shop. First reaction playing the V4B into an Ampeg 410 HLF cab was Fat, Fat , Fat and then Fat again. Beautiful rich, creamy tubey bass and I was able to get it easily without needing to crank the amp to overdrive levels. I am not very familiar with the 410HLF but it reminded me very much of my old SVT2 nonpro into my old fridge, yet I was able to get “that” tone at way lower volume. I did not have much time to play with the controls, so it was basically bass/mid/treble flat (5). I did have the bass boost on (pushed to right) and when switched the other way the bass reduced a little but the essence of fatness was still there. This seemed to me to be the signature character of the amp, although with more time I am sure I could have eqd other sounds from it. I also tried it into an Ampeg 112 cab but much preferred the 410HLF although the basic character was the same. I don’t know whether my memory has warped with time but it reminded me somewhat of my old Fender Bassman 100 into two JBL K140s way back in the seventies.
Next I plugged the same bass into the Fender 100T and Fender neo 610 cab, a combination I use myself. I only used the vintage channel, starting flat (2-10-2) then adding a touch more bass. Sounded terrible until I realised the master was on two and the gain cranked from a previous user (phew!). Correcting that gave me the sound I know well – open, transparent, clear but a little loose at the bottom end compared to the V4B. For a fairer comparison, we then plugged the V4B into the Fender neo 610 cab – at this point the two heads sounded more similar than before but the V4B still had a little fatter bottom end while the Fender was more open and transparent through the upper mids. Remember I like a clean tone so I wasn’t cranking either amp insanely, and no doubt playing with eq could have made either amp closer to the other – nonetheless each did have a clearly identifiable character of its own. I also think (and I have posted this before in other threads) that the Fender Super Bassman 300 is closer in tone to the Ampeg tone than the 100T, possibly because it uses 6550s – but that is purely an opinion and another can of worms ;).
Would I buy a V4B? Yes, definitely. Would I buy one instead of the Fender – I don’t know. The Fender is more versatile, to my eyes looks a little better/flasher (sorry Jimmy) and has a few features such as the silent record and 25/100watt power option that really does make it value for money. But the V4B does “that” tone that I hear in my dreams instantly, and it makes me smile. Both superb amps IMO, and probably if the V4B had been available when I bought the two Bassmans I would have bought one of each. How’s that for sitting on the fence?

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:43 pm

Well, I just had the courage of my convictions and pulled the plug on a V4B, should be here in a few days :D . I will probably use it with my Bergantino NV115 if the matchup works. Way over the top and pure hedonism to feed my tube addiction :oops: since I will have an Ampeg V4B, Orange AD200 and a Fender Super Bassman 300 in the bank - 100, 200 and 300 watt options of all tube goodness. I think I will have to join pins and start going to the bassaholic meetings.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Mon May 26, 2014 5:31 pm

Tim1 wrote:Well, I just had the courage of my convictions and pulled the plug on a V4B, should be here in a few days :D . I will probably use it with my Bergantino NV115 if the matchup works. Way over the top and pure hedonism to feed my tube addiction :oops: since I will have an Ampeg V4B, Orange AD200 and a Fender Super Bassman 300 in the bank - 100, 200 and 300 watt options of all tube goodness. I think I will have to join pins and start going to the bassaholic meetings.
Oooh exciting!
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon May 26, 2014 7:31 pm

Hedonism,
"Hedonism is a school of thought that argues that pleasure is the only intrinsic good.In very simple terms, a hedonist strives to maximize net pleasure (pleasure minus pain)."

I had to look the word up....and yes, very pure hedonism displayed,and bassaholic welcomes you with open arms,you qualify for "Life" membership already.

Nice Amp btw :wink:

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:41 pm

The V4B turned up today. A great match with my Bergantino NV115 and a real vintage vibe. Like the Orange, very much a plug and play. It pleases me that the V4B, the Orange AD200 and the Fender Super Bassman 300 each has a different and clear tonal characteristic of its own which gives me a clear choice of vibe. It must be said, though, that the Super Bassman 300 is easily the most versatile and can get close to the tone of both the Orange and the Ampeg. I won't get a chance to gig the V4B straight away as next booking looks like being in the pit for Grease.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:51 pm

so it wont be the one that you want
hoo hoo hoo
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:51 pm

:lol:

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:41 pm

:lol:
DI and cans I suspect, depending on the theatre since the local opera house has been declared an earthquake risk. I leant a lesson a few years ago when I did a big show and made the mistake of taking a 410 - I was mortified when the amp popped a fuse mid show and realised that despite the DI and top notch sound system there was no bass going through it, the amp just bled everywhere. Sound balance though was apparently fine until my amp gave up the ghost and sound tech had to quickly compensate.
If I need a monitor I will just take the Minimark combo.