TC Electronics Class D Amplifiers

Thunder Boxes!
greghr
Bronze Member

TC Electronics Class D Amplifiers

Post by greghr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi,
I have looked through the threads and not seen any thing relating to this topic so I thought I'd start a new one.
I am considering the TC Classic 450 amp at present on trade me as well as the BH250 which can be got from the bass shop in Australia.
I listened the other night to the bass player with Bella Kalolo and he was using TC electronics gear and had a good jazzy sound, defined and crisp, reasonably bright and tonally clear.
Anyone got any info or experience with these amps? Likes and dislikes?

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Re: TC Electronics Class D Amplifiers

Post by beagle » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:38 am

john's got one of those and has said good things about it. It's pretty tempting at that TM price.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:15 pm

I have a rh450. Lots of mids and punch, and pretty old school sounding for a digital amp. I am not sure if the classic 450 has the same tone, but it looks similar

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi John,
Do you run your RH450 through TC Cabs?
My local music room man Drew is tempting me with a new Hartke Hydrive 4 x 10 cab he's got in the store. Do you think you could run the TC classic 450 through that cab?
I'm also looking at the Ashdown Mibass 550.
cheers

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:25 pm

No I am using some home made 1x12s or sometimes some Jansen 15s but they are heavy so I rarely use them.
I don't see why you couldn't use the highdrive cab. The mibass heads look interesting

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:46 pm

greghr wrote:My local music room man Drew is tempting me with a new Hartke Hydrive 4 x 10 cab he's got in the store.
Make sure you try some other cabs for comparison, aluminum drivers aren't for everyone but they're bright so might be your thing.

No experience with those TC heads but I'd definitely get the more powerful one, remember most cabs are 8 ohms so you're only getting around half to 2/3 of the power rated at 4 ohms. Always safer to get the more powerful option so you're feeding the cab clean power.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:42 pm

timi wrote:
greghr wrote:Always safer to get the more powerful option so you're feeding the cab clean power.
Good advice,I spent years using underpowered amps and the result of running out of headroom with a loud band was never pleasing to say the least.
I have no experience with the amps mentioned here sorry,but I do have a D class Genz Benz shuttle 9 ( 900w@4ohm and I think around 500w@8 ohm) its been great since day one.

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:05 pm

Drew at the Music Room was talking about 'headroom' also. From what I understand it's the ability for an amp and cab and guitar to cater for a dynamic range e.g. if you are playing quietly down low and then suddenly want to hit a high note with some volume, the amp can compensate for that transition. Is that correct? So what do you need in your electronics to get 'headroom'?
Another bass concept 'clean power'. Can you explain that one please?
Can anyone recommend a good laymans, plain speak book to read about amplification principles?

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:16 pm

I am a layman on these topics ( technically speaking ) but headroom to me is the ability to crank up the volume to stupid levels ( like 900w@4ohm :shock: ) without distortion, and distortion = the speakers farting out or amp clipping and causing the same effect :D correct me anyone if I'm wrong.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:38 am

greghr wrote:Drew at the Music Room was talking about 'headroom' also. From what I understand it's the ability for an amp and cab and guitar to cater for a dynamic range e.g. if you are playing quietly down low and then suddenly want to hit a high note with some volume, the amp can compensate for that transition. Is that correct? So what do you need in your electronics to get 'headroom'?
Another bass concept 'clean power'. Can you explain that one please?
Headroom means that there's reserve power left to go louder, ie if you're pushing the amp to the limit it hasn't got any further to go should you want to play a note way louder. More power will mean more headroom (although power ratings compared to overall volume differ heaps between brands).

When you push an amp too far it distorts, with a solid state amp this can blow speakers no matter how many watts the cab can handle. This is why getting the more powerful head and running the volume lower is much safer.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:12 pm

The tc450 amp compresses when it gets to a certain volume and it takes away a lot of the transient peaks, which I guess helps it get an old school sound, to make it seem louder, it's only something like 240 watts. Doesn't sound good on paper but I have never had a situation where I have needed more volume and I haven't had it to half way on the master. But some peoples loud is completely different to others.

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:07 am

Hi,
I bought the TC Classic 450 from the guy in Taupo. Great condition, no buzzing or hissing. I tried it out with the Hartke Hydrive 4 x 10 cab (which i also bought) at Drew's shop and it sounded great, nice and clear, plenty of volume if that's what you want. But in my yet to be developed ears the sound definitely was more mid range, and with the cab and tweaking the treble on the bass and amp you can get quite a bright sound, which I don't mind. I tried it all out with my new Ibanez BTB 675 that Drew got for me and there is plenty of scope for all sorts of different tonalities in the setup. It will be fun to explore. Will post some pics on the 'Show your Set Up' page soon.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:10 pm

If it is anything like the rh 450 it should have plenty of mids like you say, I love my mids so it suits my style.

basshead56
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
Belial
GOAT
The Hayfields

Post by basshead56 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:00 pm

I've got a BH250 and it's the coolest piece of kit I've bought in years, and that's from someone who has a serious addiction to bass gear!!!

Got it through Rockshop in Nelson (who sourced an ex-demo model for me) and as far as i know, it's the only one currently in NZ.

Serious piece of kit. Loads of headroom when paired with my 4ohm Mesa Radiator 15. A nice big bottom end with plenty of volume to spare.
Sounds clean and crisp with EQ flat, especially with my Jazz or Jaguar basses. Lots of growl and snap! And my P basses sing through it!
Have to boost the eq slightly (I mean ever so slightly) for my Baby upright (slap strings sound MEAN through it!!!)or Dean Cabbie, but it really does have volume in spades.
I haven't tried it with an 8ohm cab but I do imagine you'd need the two to get the most out of it, in terms of headroom.

All that (plus a built in tuner), before you play with the Toneprint!!! beaming new tones straight to the amp and using a single blend knob to mix it to your signal, no need for a big bulky pedal board taking up valuable floorspace in smaller venues. Also, If you get the 3 button switch, you can have two saved on there. I toggle between the factory chorus and a nice tubey grind!

I've been using it so much my Mesa Stack hasn't had a lot of love these last few weeks! Mind you that weighs a tonne, whereas the TC weighs 4kgs and the Radiator cab only weighs 19kg

BUY ONE!!!!
Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL,8x10
Ampeg SVT 4PRO, 610
Ampeg PF rig
Ampeg B-100R
Ampeg Micro VR rig (4sale)
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)