Pre or Post eq

Thunder Boxes!
Widownz

Pre or Post eq

Post by Widownz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:00 am

Hey Guy's
Just wondering people thoughts on pre or post EQ on a amp.
I di out into the board as well as run my full rig on most gig's and am not hearing much difference between them.
My rig consist's of a AH500X trace head 4 X 10 and a 1 X 15.
What are your ideas, I probably have to spend some more time on the EQ on my amp thats all I can think of.
Cheers :D

john
Gold Member

Re: Pre or Post eq

Post by john » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Pre is before the eq on your amp and post is after the eq.

I tend to go post eq because my amp has a baked in tone that I like for my style of playing and I don't go crazy on boosting and cutting the frequencies. I also use distortion on the amp sometimes so it's good to get that through the PA too.
... But if the sound on stage is bad and requires drastic EQing I will go pre and let the sound guy eq for the rest of the room.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:31 pm

What John said.....
I've got the same on my amp but when I have it on 'post eq' the signal to the desk is too stong, so I put it on to 'pre eq' and the signal is better and just adjust the bass / trable / mid on the desk channel.
....but in saying that I've had so many problems with the DI that most gigs have been using a mic in front of cab and that works fine.
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

Widownz

Post by Widownz » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Cheers Guy's that's a good help.
Bassman what probs have you had with you Di micing is the other thing I have been thinking about but my Di seems to work great at the moment.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:52 pm

In the end the sound guy is going to have the biggest influence on your sound out front. I generally select pre eq so that if I choose to tweak my onstage sound during a set it won't affect the p.a.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Widownz wrote:Cheers Guy's that's a good help.
Bassman what probs have you had with you Di micing is the other thing I have been thinking about but my Di seems to work great at the moment.
if your DI is working fine, then use it - have it on post EQ and have the bass / mid / treble on the channel on the mixing desk set at half way.... that way you can control the front of house mix from the amps EQ - whereas with pre EQ the signal to the desk is flat and the sound guy will use the bass / mid / treble on the desk to get a good front of house sound

I've had a lot of problems with buzzing through the PA when I use the DI on the amp - I'm not sure if it is a ground lift problem, or a problem with my bass.
my amp's DI has a built in (permanent) ground lift, so technically ground lift shouldn't be an issue....
Some people don't like to use a DI box and prefer to mic the cabinet up, as they believe they get a better sound that way- I do it because there's no buzzing through the PA when I mic it up

I might be buying a new bass anyway - which may or may not fix the buzzing problem
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:53 am

I used to always demand a mic on my rig, but since giving up and buying a VT Bass I've actually found the ability to tweak my amp EQ only for on stage pretty vital so I go pre (but after the VT).

Most of the venues I've played have had subs under the stage, so when that interacts with the low end coming from the amp it gets muddy and the comb filtering causes all sorts of problems on stage and out front. I usually run my amp with almost no low end at all and I wouldn't want to send that tone to FOH!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:29 am

timi wrote: Most of the venues I've played have had subs under the stage, so when that interacts with the low end coming from the amp it gets muddy and the comb filtering causes all sorts of problems on stage and out front. I usually run my amp with almost no low end at all and I wouldn't want to send that tone to FOH!
Yeah, thats what I meant by going pre if I have to do drastic eqing, in those venues that have the subs under the stage it gets really boomy on stage and you have to compensate with your amps eq.
Even after I do take lows out of my amp I have had a couple of looks from the saxophonist that I have my lows cranked. It might have something to do with him standing directly on the sub :roll:

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:36 pm

playing in lots of different venues every week does my head in,and is always work in progress... :)

i remember the days of doing a thurs,fri and sat nights every weekend in the same pub,month after month,easy to forget how easy that made things for dialling in the "perfect" tone for our own ears at least,stage and foh.

I even had a few local bass players commenting on how I had the best sound and they wanted it....no one cared about my playing which was pretty atrocious,the sound was win :lol:
and that was with low end gear,but I did have a tone dialled in that I would kill for at every gig these days.

since getting the zoom b3 I have a reliable DI that sends a post eq to the desk which does for now,not 100% happy but it works although it also makes for tweaking things on the fly a hazard as it effects foh too.
My shuttle 9 is only acting as a power amp via return send, so no dials work,nothing, only the volume,even the mute is disabled.

in my dreams I envision putting a quality,and I mean the best top of the line (spec wise) mic that money can buy in front of my cab as that would be my sole preference as that is my sound and would expect a decent desk,operator and foh to reproduce it :P

Widownz

Post by Widownz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:15 am

Well been having a play around with my EQ this week on pre and post Eq with DI and think I have got the sound I'm looking for.
This Friday will tell we've got the Woodstock Bike rally to play and they always have a sound guy out there that Mic's or DI's everything so will pick his brains as well.
Just as a side note had a little play on Kala Bass yesterday and then the wife turned around and said get it now I can't get it off her, at least I don't have to explain this one,
Really liking the sound plugged in too.

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:49 pm

If you are using FOH support, the signal should always be taken pre-EQ. The reason is that if the eq on the amp has been used to compensate for onstage acoustic issues, the engineer will have to compensate for your compensation that before he can get a decent FOH sound. Much simpler for him/her to start with a flat mix.

For jam sessions, I doubt post EQ will matter much although better to avoid competing with the bass drum and guitar frequencies.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:05 am

well since getting my new bass 3 months ago I've not had any buzzing problems through FOH.
I use post EQ and get a really good signal to the desk and the drummer (aka sound guy) keeps the eq on the bass channel pretty flat and if there are any problems e.g. too 'bassy' then I adjust it on my amp