4x10 vs 1x15 vs something else

Thunder Boxes!
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

4x10 vs 1x15 vs something else

Post by Mr Bass Man » Fri May 23, 2014 12:15 pm

I've got a Warwick 4x10 that I run with my Ashdown ABM EVO 900 III and my squire modified Jazz and I get a good sound out if it
quite punchy / good mids, plenty of volume etc.... we run it through the PA (DI) at gigs and she really hums
the set up is not as 'bassy' as I'd like, but we adjust the bass on the amp and desk to suit

had a practice last night and I asked drummer during the week if I could borrow his custom made cab (1x18 & 1x10) instead of lugging around my cab to his place every time we have a rehearsal (he has a Rocket 200 bass amp and his cab that he used to use when he had an electric kit)

So I plugged in to his rig and OMG what a great sound I got - it was fat, smooth, good amount of bass - his cab really sounded good or maybe the amp had something to do with it? Drummer said he could hear every note I was playing clearly (the amp was sitting directly behind him) and sometimes at gigs he says he has a hard time hearing some of my notes.... he said he might bring the cab to this weekends gig - but then said that because he made the cab out of custom wood (he's a builder) it's #$%^& heavy! will be interesting to see what the ashdown sounds like through his cab

I had thought about upgrading my cab at some point and getting an Ashdown 4x10, but maybe I'm better off getting a decent 1x15 with a horn?

any thoughts on a 4x10 or a 1x15?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

BluesBass
Gold Member

Re: 4x10 vs 1x15 vs something else

Post by BluesBass » Fri May 23, 2014 1:37 pm

I personally tend to prefer 4x10s over 1x15s, but I would suggest playing as many different cabs with your head and bass in as many different rooms as possible and go with what sounds best to you.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Fri May 23, 2014 7:55 pm

BluesBass wrote:I personally tend to prefer 4x10s over 1x15s, but I would suggest playing as many different cabs with your head and bass in as many different rooms as possible and go with what sounds best to you.
Yep,good advice,I too prefer 4x10,I have tried gigging with a half decent single 15" cab (but no horn) which sounded pretty good and fat at reasonable volumes until I needed to crank it up,but then for me the 15" failed miserably.
But who knows that 18 and 10 in a weighty cab might be the bees nees ?, keen to hear the match report and whether your back survives the lug in/out :wink:

Harleys cabs are light and pretty wicked too

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:29 pm

I too have a natural tendency towards tens, which I think are "safer" speakers generally than fifteens - that is, as a rule and IME, most 410 cabs seem to work reasonably well for bass and provide a solid bottom end along with reasonable efficiency. It seems to be harder to find good 115 cabs that can pump and handle the equivalent power for the same dbs as a 410.
Surprisingly my go to cabs now are fifteens - a Bergantino NV215 or NV115. These are sealed cabs with a lower efficiency than many tens but have a tight and punchy midrange and a very full range response since they both have a 6" driver rather than a horn. My tendency towards 410s comes from touring in the 80s with SWR Goliaths - still a fine example of a classic 410 cab. I have owned a Mesa 215 cab which was too prominent in the upper mids for me, and done the JBL K140/E140 fifteen thing too.
So now I ask myself what I am saying - well, firstly that there really is no generic rule. A fairer comparison would be a 410 cab vs a 215, since the 410 vs a single fifteen can win out purely on the basis of speaker area. 115s and the science of speaker building have come a long way and are still developing rapidly - witness the neo phenomenon. I love the sound of my Fender Super Bassman 300 into its neo 610 cab, but I tend to go first to my Orange AD200 into one of the Berg cabs. I have tried the 12 thing and it has not worked for me yet although it is intriguing and I have not given up on that front - an Ampeg V4B into their 212 AV cab might be looming on my horizon. I guess we really are spoilt for choice as bassists :D

monster
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Easy, Taranaki Symphony Orchestra

Post by monster » Sat May 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Just to balance things up I prefer two 1x15" cabs to a single 4x10, however I agree that a single 15 isn't going to be able to shift enough air by itself for louder gigs.
I don't have lots of experience with different cabs. The 4x10 I've used is a newer Ampeg (probably an HE rather than an HLF) with the horn turned off. I thought it sounded a bit funny (particularly with overdrive) until I worked out that I could boost some mid frequencies.

Stacking two 1x15's means I can have one closer to my ears too.

Having said that, if someone supplied that 4x10 and the SVTIIIpro head at a gig then I'd use it happily. But my preference is for two 1x15's.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sun May 25, 2014 6:18 pm

What about a 2x12?

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon May 26, 2014 9:25 am

Yeah - I prefer the punchy-ness of 4x10, but really liked the smooth fat tone of the drummers 1x18 & 1x10
At Saturdays gig sound was pretty crap - just a jumble of noise on stage most of the night... I used my 4x10. Out front sounded fine according to our singer, but drummer likes to keep adjusting the PA during songs! he's always trying to add more lows to his kick, then it starts ringing, so he brings it back, then tries adding more lows to the EQ on the PA..... problem is the stage at this pub is tiny and I have my amp / cab to my right on a seat and it's not close to the drummer at all, so that's why he has trouble hearing it. His kick drum 'died' half way through the last set (wasn't coming out FOH) but after gig he found he had pressed something on the desk and that's why things weren't sounding 100% on stage.... bloody drummers are never satisfied LOL!

anyway I suggested that we just turn everything down a bit in the PA and he will be able to hear my bass a bit better.
We play at this place once a month so next time I think I'll have to try and turn my amp side on so it faces me and the drummer....

Can't afford a new cab at the moment anyway, so I'll just stick to the 4x10
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Mon May 26, 2014 9:45 am

timi wrote:What about a 2x12?
This.

I was forever in 4x10 vs 2x15 land until I tried out a Genz Benz 212T NeoX cab.
I sold the rest, bought the 2x12, and I've never thought about getting another cab, it sounds perfect and is loud as hell too.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Mon May 26, 2014 5:10 pm

I've tried various combinations and I preferred the 4x10 over a single 1x15.
The 1x15's that I had never had the right mid upper sound that I like while 4x10's just have more of everything.

Do consider the 2x12 though.
I have been playing with 1 or 2 (1x12) cabs for 2 years now and I'm sold on them
Great full range sound, lightweight, super compact, stackable on a very small footprint and you get a truer sound when standing close than a 4x10.
Not as loud / efficient as 4x10s but plenty for small gigs
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Mon May 26, 2014 5:41 pm

I generally use an Ampeg SV-210HE (2x10 with horn) along with an Ampeg SVT-15E (1x15). I find it kinda gives the punch of the 10's with the smooth bottom of the 15. I used to run a pair of each, with bi-amping to separate the lows for the 15's.

Years ago I used to use 2x15 (Peavey), but really didn't like it as well, just to muddy, not enough high end definition...

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:07 am

timi wrote:What about a 2x12?
That's what I use a majority of the time except I have two very lite 112s. If I need two cabs, I just stack one on the other. For practice and gigs where bass speaker is just a monitor ( bass going through PA ), then I just take one 112.

I have the same options with 110s and 115s, but I mostly prefer the 112, single or dual stacked.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:18 am

I may have to give 12's a try I like the idea of having a single speaker for practice, whatever, then being able to pair it up. What sort of 112 do you use?

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:58 pm

cjj wrote:I may have to give 12's a try I like the idea of having a single speaker for practice, whatever, then being able to pair it up. What sort of 112 do you use?
I manufacture BFM ( Bill Fitzmaurice ) cabs under license here in NZ, so all my cabs are BFM.

The J112 Lites are the ones I like to gig with the most and are about 13kg each in weight.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:47 pm

I was fortunate enough to try 2 BFM Jack 112 Lite cabs thanks to Harley :wink: they blew me away for 2 cabs that were an easy carry in each hand. .....as I said then,I "was" pretty happy with my new Benz Uber 4x10 "until" that moment.

In hindsight,at the time I bought new,I should have gone for the same Genz Benz 212T NeoX cab T-Dub has,instead of a familiar for me 4x10 config.
I was toying between the 2 but had no real experience with 12" cabs until Harleys visit.

Those BFM cabs really impressed me and opened my eyes to what is possible with clever design and construction.It also showed me what 12" drivers can pump out.

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:22 pm

The thing about 12's is that you really do need to be convinced of their awesomeness in person, because you don't usually think of them when you're looking for a new cab. Also, I sure as hell didn't buy the Genz Benz 212 because it looked pretty, which has always been my criticism of GB. It has blown me away with everything I've run through it, kickass with tube and ss amps alike.

I feel guitarists need convincing that 10's are awesome, bassists need convincing that 12's are awesome.