Can't decide on a new amp

Thunder Boxes!
daniel

Can't decide on a new amp

Post by daniel » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi,
I am wanting to upgrade my 20W Ashton practice amp.
I want something big enough to play along with a small band but not too expensive.
I'm kinda leaning towards a head+cab rather than a combo, because I can change the cab(or head) later
does anyone know of any amps that are preferably under $1k

I quite like the Ashdown little bastard head which is currently $799 at music planet ATM
I don't like the matching LB212 cab tho cause it is only 4ohm so I couldn't add another cab to it

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: Can't decide on a new amp

Post by foal30 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi Daniel, welcome aboard to BPNZ

I quite like the LB Ashdown as well, but a 30Watt amp is not going to cut it in a live band situation (unsupported).

IMO 200Watts if playing with an acoustic drum kit is a benchmark for volume.

Head + Cab is IMO a better option
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:45 am

That amp is geared towards recording or live when you have really low stage volume.

If you like Ashdown you should check out their Mag range, you could get a 300 watt head and 4x10 for around your budget.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:03 pm

Best bang for buck I have had the pleasure to use recently was a Fender Rumble 350w combo.
It crapped all over the Laney 300w combo I sold,and if I decide to replace it I would go with the Rumble 350,and it's under a grand.Plus I think it has an extension out for extra cab ?
I used one at the Cabana and was literally shocked at what that Fender combo pumped out on stage.
As for separate amps and cabs,there are so many options it's hard for me to make a recommendation, but you may be pushed to find something half decent in your price range.
Try as many options you can before pulling the pin.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:05 pm

Yeah - depends on where your asperations are... if you want to play in pubs / venues down the track a grunty 300w plus amp and cab will be best or some combos on Trade me you can get (Ashdown) for under $1k and you could add another speaker later if need be
There is a Behringer amp / head on TM at the moment for about $500 from memory and those Behringer heads are pretty grunty for a cheap 450w head. If you get a good amp, make sure it has a 'DI out' - that way if you play at a large venue you can run a line from the amp to the mixing desk, so the bass goes through the PA speakers.

best thing though is to take your bass into a music shop and try out a few amps - see what you like the sound off... then look for a cheap one on Trade me! LOL
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

basshead56
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
Belial
GOAT
The Hayfields

Post by basshead56 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:44 am

I would wait and order the new 2014 Fender Rumble 200 or 500

Easily the best value for money amp of the year. It's all of the Genz Benz remains that Fender have repackaged since gutting the company!
Way, way lighter, louder and with far more features including the only real flaw that held back original Rumble - a speaker out! Plus they are easily the coolest looking bass combo ever (possible exception of the Fender TV series)
Check with Rockshop or Music Planet about ETA.

I am not a fan of Ashdown combos or Behringer anything, as years of playing support tours in venues around Europe where it was usually one or the other that was provided as part of the backline have coloured my opinion! What I have I learned - always bring your own rig, even if it means sleeping on it in the back of the van!!!
Behringer is fine, but you get what you pay for!
The earlier Ashdown EB combos were awful things, as were the first run of the MAGs. I haven't used much of their stuff since but I know that a lot of people certainly rate them highly - they have obviously upped their game considerably.

You could look at Marshall BassState or MB Series amps. They often appear on TM for well under $1000 (I've seen a couple of halfstacks go for less than $600 over the last year). Marshall make some really under-rated bass amps! I own a VBA 400 with two matching 4x12's and it's the greatest amp EVER!!!

Hughes & Kettner also do/did some great combos which appear relatively cheap from time to time - BassKick?? Check one of them out (but they aren't light!)
There are always Trace Elliot combos/heads/cabs to look at - the best second hand value for money bar none! Think there's a GP7 15 combo on TM right now for $300!!! Ugly, heavy and built like a tank but possibly the most unmistakable bass tone there is!
Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby Upright
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL, Ampeg 8x10
Ampeg B-100R
Ampeg PF rig
Ampeg Micro VR & 210AV
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)

daniel

Post by daniel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi, Thanks for your help.
forgot I posted this

The reason I was looking at the LB30 was that it isn't huge,
when I said i wanted something big enough to play along with a small band, I really meant like play along with some mates, so doesn't need to be Huge, I'm not exactly a Pro.
Mainly I just play by myself its more about getting something with better sound than the Ashton.
the LB30 does have a DI out and Ive read that some people have used it in gigs. however when/if I get to the stage where I want to do that I'll most likely have a much bigger budget

Which would you say is worth investing more in: the Head, or the cab?
I see there are some cheap cabs on Trademe

Thanks

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:15 pm

daniel wrote: Which would you say is worth investing more in: the Head, or the cab?
Thanks
you should invest equally in both - there's no point in spending say $800 on a good head then only $200 on a cheap cab
if you can buy a matching head and cab that would be good as some bass players frown upon mixing different heads and cabs
I also think you need at least 100w - because if you buy the 30w ashdown and start to get more serious about your playing you will need a more powerful amp if you are playing in a live situation, 30w won't cut the mustard live
The last thing you want is to buy a 30w amp then in 6 months time have to upgrade to something more powerful - best to do it now
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:09 pm

daniel wrote:really meant like play along with some mates, so doesn't need to be Huge

Which would you say is worth investing more in: the Head, or the cab?
Don't skimp on the cab, bad cabs are the worst.

Why not a combo? Doesn't sound like you need anything huge.
Mr Bass Man wrote:if you can buy a matching head and cab that would be good as some bass players frown upon mixing different heads and cabs
Do they? Aside from hired SVT/810 rigs I don't often see matching setups. Also, why would you care what other bass players think of your rig?