175w / 300w continuous?

Thunder Boxes!
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

175w / 300w continuous?

Post by Mr Bass Man » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm not sure exactly what this means on the back of a speaker cabinet - does it mean the speaker cab is 175w, but can handle 300w?
I've seen this on a few cabs for sale and I find it a bit confusing - expecially as I am in the market for a new cab!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: 175w / 300w continuous?

Post by martyforrer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:55 pm

Speaker cab ratings are often ambiguous, and different manufacturers use different rating systems. The figure you need to be concerned with is the RMS rating. Anything else is a guessing game. I guess you are talking about a Peavey cab? They never actually state the RMS rating. I would be inclined to think that it's a 175 watt RMS rating, and can handle 300 watts of clean power (which is not what we bass players have.... ) or maybe 300 watts of transient bass player power.... LOL! Generally speaking, a cab can handle more than its rated power if you are putting in a nice clean signal, ie: un-clipped preamp gain and plenty of power amp (master volume).
There are other factors also. The impedance rating of the cab.... you're better off with an 8 ohm cab than a 4 ohm cab because you can add another 8 ohm cab if you need it. The efficiency rating of the cab..... usually rated as "x" decibels (db) @ 1 ft. A 100db cab is much more efficient (read louder) than a cab rated at 95db.
Hope this helps.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:14 pm

thanks - yes I was looking at a Peavey Cab actually.... never really understood the different wattage ratings really....
My Ashdown amp can handle 2 x 4ohm cabs, but I'll never need to do that - I just saw a good peavey rig on TM and thought the 2 speakers would work well together, but I don't really need 2 speaker cabs either.... it would be nice to have the power of 2 cabs, but would have to fit them in the car...etc...
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

monster
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Easy, Taranaki Symphony Orchestra

Post by monster » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:55 pm

Mr Bass Man wrote:it would be nice to have the power of 2 cabs, but would have to fit them in the car...etc...
One reasons I've stayed using TL-606 cabs is that I can easily fit two of them into a car, even my current 'hack' - a 1995 Toyota Starlet.
2 efficient 1x15" cabs suit me nicely, but they would not suit everyone.