Hartke HA5500 at low volumes

Thunder Boxes!
greghr
Bronze Member

Hartke HA5500 at low volumes

Post by greghr » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Just fishing for some info about the above head used at continuous low volume. I'm playing a Fender Am Std passive jazz.
I gig (winery places) with 3 women, one of whom plays an acoustic guitar and sings her originals, the other women sing harmonies. On the last gig I thought I could get away with my little practice Fender Bronco raised off the floor. My band mate kept asking me to turn it down as she thought it was too loud (I had it up on 6).

I was really unsatisfied however with the tone (which I could hardly hear). My other bass rig is the above head with a 1000watt rated Hartke Hydride 410 cab at 8 ohms.

If I used the Hartke head with the cab at future gigs with the gals are there any unforeseen issues about using a head and cab with those power ratings at very low volumes continuously?

Thanks

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: Hartke HA5500 at low volumes

Post by martyforrer » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:02 am

None whatsoever. However the appearance might be overkill for that sort of gig. Raising your Bronco off the floor may be why you were not satisfied with the tone. Small combos and small speakers need that floor coupling. Example.... my Phil Jones Bass Flightcase is 150watts and has four five inch speakers. If I lift it off the floor it sounds thin, but on the floor and backed up against a wall it is huge, so much so that I roll bass off.

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:28 am

Thanks Marty,

Yes I did wonder whether the size of the Hartke rig might be off putting, that's why I used the Bronco. So leave it on the floor. Would it be good to angle it up slightly though with a wedge or something or leave it parallel to the floor level. We were playing on a small deck outside the winery building and so the sound was just pushing into the outdoors even though there was a wall behind it.

I've contemplated quitting the Bronco and getting something still portable but with a few more watts. I already have an Ampeg PF500 head and a TC Electronics Classic 450 head I got off Trade me. Bad GAS I know.

Maybe I should quit all the Hartke gear (that includes in addition to the 410 a 115 cab also). I must have been having delusions of grandeur when I bought all that Hartke gear. It's unlikely that I will be playing a venue ever where I need that much playing power. Maybe go for one of those 210 or 212 TC Electronics cabs that I could use with the Ampeg or TC heads.

Gear ! :oops: :?

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Angling a cab up is unnecessary unless you play fretless. A 2x10 cab or a 1x12 cab will fill the bill. Those PF500 heads are damn good. I have no experience of TC stuff, but I have read good reports on the heads, less so on the TC 2x10. My choice would be a 1x12 with a NEO speaker for light weight. Several manufacturers have them, GK and Genz Benz Shuttle among others. If you want a grunter, a 1x12 BFM Jack from Harley here on the forum sounds like a plan.

greghr
Bronze Member

Post by greghr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Well the solution emerged for me this arvo. From the local independent Music Room shop owner Drew, I bought a new Hartke 210 500 watt combo. He allowed me to trade in the Hartke Hydride 115 cab for a reasonable price (which I had originally bought from him) and I've kept the 410 Hydrive cab. So now for small gigs I take the 210 combo which on its own gives me 250 watts at 8 ohms, which is heaps, and if I couple it to the 410 if I ever get to play a bigger gig sometime I get the full 500 watts. Now I can sell the Hartke HA 5500 separate head. Hopefully I can get $500 for that. It has one small scratch on the front otherwise in excellent cond, hardly been used. Only 1 gig, rest of the time in my practice room. It's never been played higher than the 4 on the master volume. Off to Trade me again I go.

So happy chappy. Thanks for your interest Marty.

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:00 am

Good plan.