Downsizing my rig - anyone done it?

Thunder Boxes!
Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Downsizing my rig - anyone done it?

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:37 am

I'm toying with the idea of Downsizing my rig... I'm getting a bit tired of lugging my rig around to gigs and rehearsals
We have a good PA and we mic up all the drums / guitar...etc... so there's no real need for me to have a big 4x10 and a 1000w bass head

I'm looking at getting a 300-500w combo that has a built in DI and an extension speaker out jack – so I can add a 2x10 or a 1x15 if need be

I’ve been looking at a Hughes & Kettner amp on Trade me, but waiting to hear from the seller as to a question I asked

the other option I'm considering is getting a small 1x15 or a 2x10 to take to rehearsals, and I can add that to my 4x10 for larger gigs
but I think I prefer the 'downsizing' option.

I've yet to talk to my wife about my plans - and she will probably give me the 'why do you need to buy another bass amp?' reply

the only real downside I can think of is not having a huge amount of volume on stage

Has anyone downsized their rig successfully?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Downsizing my rig - anyone done it?

Post by pins » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:19 am

Done it .
Fender Rumble 500 v3 Combo. 500w with 8 ohm ext cab or 350w stand alone. Unbelievably light too . I don't use the combo DI but it does have one.
My Genz rig now gathers dust these days.
At first I thought I needed an ext cab but now I'm used to it I don't really.
Huge thread on talkbass about the rumbles.
I'm very impressed with it. Done loads of gigs with it.

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:00 pm

I highly recommend the GK Microbass series. They're a combo with an extension out for adding an extra cab. It can pump out 150 watts when combined with an extension cab.

The inbuilt speaker is 12 inch and sounds clear and appropriately clean + deep.

The amp has a great form factor and is small and light enough to carry anywhere. I bought a carry case which I can put the amp in and it has a shoulder strap.

Rockshop usually have them and sometimes stock them.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:40 pm

I downsized about 12 years ago, after I got a hernia.

That's what drove me to look for something light yet powerful in a cab, and hence I came across the BFM range, of which I now am a builder/supplier.

Since aking BFM cabs, there have been quite a few models introduced that are even lighter and more portable. I have a David Eden head ( 500w @ 4ohms, 800 @ 2 ohms ) and depending on my gig or mood or both I take either Jack 10s' or Jack 12s to a gig and id there's FOH, I only take one of them.

I found combos are a waste of time, you never get a decent cab to go wit the head or vice-versa and so a good quality light head and a couple of high efficiency light cabs are the way to go if you're considering down-sizing - IMO
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:23 pm

Harley wrote: so a good quality light head and a couple of high efficiency light cabs are the way to go if you're considering down-sizing - IMO
The truth !!!!!!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:14 pm

I downsized to a class d head and two 1x12 cabs and I haven't looked back. I have even started taking just one of the 1x12s to gigs with pa support and have been surprised I could get away with it

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:01 pm

thanks for the replies... seller on TM hasn't answered my question, so I won't bid on it if the question is not answered and the auction finishes tomorrow.... might get offered amp at lower price LOL!

they have Hughes and Kettner amps at music planet in Albany, so I can always go in there and try it out and ask questions, but will talk to the wife about it - she's not keen on me buying anything on TM unless I test it out...
Last time I was in the Rock shop Takapuna they showed me a new GK combo 200w and it was lighter than my bass!!! Whereas the H&K amp is 36kgs

I've just changed the strings on my bass and there is an annoying buzz on the D string (when played open) that I can't get rid of...... spent over an hour adjusting the intonation...etc.. to no avail! I rarely play the D string open, but may take in to get professionally set up

anyway I'm still 'thinking' about downsizing....

edited to add I just googled photos of the Hughes and Kettner Bass Kick 300 and it does have a balanced line out (DI) and an external speaker out 4-8ohms... so I assume you can plug a 4ohm or 8ohm extension cab into the back - and those were the 2 questions I asked the seller....
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:42 am

Try a bit of baking soda followed by a drop of superglue on the D nut slot. Should raise your action a tad if there is no other obvious problem as you say. You might also check that it is not vibrating behind the nut, although this is more common with an E string where there is less of a break angle.
I have often thought about "downsizing" but my love of all valve heads leaves me with a bigger rig. One thing I have done over the years is work out the easiest way to shift things -add wheels, rolling trucks etc. These days I play live less so it is correspondingly less of an issue for me. Unfortunately I have never found a solid state/class D head that sounds or responds close enough to an all tube rig for me. That said, the new Bergantino amp looks very interesting.....

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:25 am

Tim1 wrote:Try a bit of baking soda followed by a drop of superglue on the D nut slot. Should raise your action a tad if there is no other obvious problem as you say. You might also check that it is not vibrating behind the nut, although this is more common with an E string where there is less of a break angle.
really?? - never heard of that.... it's definitely buzzing down the pick up end and I raised the action a bit and that didn't do a lot
I'll see how it goes at this weekends gig.

I went to talk to the wife last night about my downsizing plans and she was asleep on the couch in front of the TV!

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:48 am

well the auction closed for the amp with no bidders and my question remained unanswered (even though I found out the answer myself). Might ask for a re-list and ask another question....

basshead56
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
Belial
GOAT
The Hayfields

Post by basshead56 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:45 am

If you are after lightweight and powerful, my lightweight rig is in the for sale section here :)
Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL,8x10
Ampeg SVT 4PRO, 610
Ampeg PF-800 & PF-115HE
Ampeg B-100R
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:37 am

basshead56 wrote:If you are after lightweight and powerful, my lightweight rig is in the for sale section here :)

thanks for that but you're at the other end of NZ!... bit hard to 'try before you buy' :)

I see the seller has re-listed the amp with same start price and lower buy now... it's a Hughes and Kettner 300w bass kick - reviews I've read are pretty good, but it does weigh the same as my 4x10, although it is a lot samller / more compact.
I've also seen a laney hardcore? 25w practice amp that has got my attention too..... wonder if wife will let me buy 2 amps?? LOL! :lol:

bronzet
Silver Member

Post by bronzet » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:32 am

If you want to go super light weight, why not try in-ear monitoring? You would only need a bass preamp with DI + the in-ear monitors - no amps/cabs to lug around and you could get a perfect mix of all instruments from the band into your in-ears monitors. I have heard about others using in-ears with no amps/cabs onstage and highly recommend it. I have also heard that Warwick are about to release a LWA500 light weight amp which is 500 watts at 4 ohms and weighs only 2.42 lbs (http://warwick.de/en/Warwick---Products ... tures.html). Plenty of options out there these days.
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:46 pm

I've been thinking a lot about neodymium more and more as my ceramic drivers get heavier each gig.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:12 am

Currently my head and 2x12 is around 25kg total, in the past I've had big tube heads that weighed more than that.

I was in the Rock Shop yesterday grabbing some patch cables and saw one of those new Fender Rumble combos. $1000 retail for a 2x10 combo, 500 watts with an extension cab (so probably around 350 by itself) and under 17kgs. Didn't have time to have a play but gave it a quick lift and immediately wanted it. GK also do a similar one and even a 2x12 version that runs the full 500 watts.