Downsizing my rig - anyone done it?

Thunder Boxes!
pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Downsizing my rig - anyone done it?

Post by pins » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:34 pm

timi wrote:I was in the Rock Shop yesterday grabbing some patch cables and saw one of those new Fender Rumble combos. $1000 retail for a 2x10 combo, 500 watts with an extension cab (so probably around 350 by itself) and under 17kgs. Didn't have time to have a play but gave it a quick lift and immediately wanted it.
Thats the Combo I now have and correct it's 350w stand alone and super lightweight.
I was thinking of adding the newly released matching 2x10 ext cab to run the full 500w but honestly I don't need it for 2 reasons, the combo seriously cranks by itself and it would defeating the downsize object by adding another cab.

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:32 pm

I heard back from the Rock Shop (who are apparently the agents for H&K amps) and they said the speaker output runs in series - not parallel
so adding an extension speaker cab will not increase the power / volume of the amp... that's weird.
the Seller has re-listed the amp on TM twice and each time I have asked a question, and each time the auction closes with the question being un-answered... then the seller just re-lists the amp.... I don't get it....
Oh well that's their loss!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:41 pm

I never heard of an amp having the speaker outs wired like that. I wonder if someone has their wires crossed----get it---wires...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Audio Engineering Society

Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:09 am

john wrote:I never heard of an amp having the speaker outs wired like that. I wonder if someone has their wires crossed----get it---wires...
If the internal speaker is 4 ohms and the minimum amp load capacity is 4 ohms then an extension must be series wired. This is a rare circumstance, most manufacturers won't use a 4 ohm driver with a 4 ohm minimum rated amp, but I've seen it before.
speaker output runs in series - not parallel
so adding an extension speaker cab will not increase the power / volume of the amp..
The maximum output volume will be increased if the internal speaker can't handle the voltage swing of the amp without exceeding its excursion capability. Power is moot, as power doesn't determine how loud the system will play, voltage swing does.

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:10 am

john wrote:I downsized to a class d head and two 1x12 cabs and I haven't looked back. I have even started taking just one of the 1x12s to gigs with pa support and have been surprised I could get away with it
Me too, two Greenboy f112 cabs with the tiltback profile so the cones are pointed up at me. They are 20kg each so only a 4kg saving on my much loved EBS212 neo but significantly smaller. More like a PA with extra bass than the 212's
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:33 pm

Well I've made the decision that I will down size (yet to tell the wife...) probably early next year, although band is fully booked up doing weddings...etc... until end of March 2016 from memory.
I figure I'll need a 500w combo either by itself or with an extn cab, so will start looking on Trade me and in the retail shops
not wanting to spend a lot (under $1000)
if any has any recommendations for combos that they like or combos to avoid it would be much appreciated :D
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:23 am

Rumble 500 v3 Combo.
We do similar stuff to you guys and the guys in my band cant believe how good it is. Rarely use my Genz rig these days.
Hook up one of the matching lightweight ext cabs and get even more from it.
I thought about an ext cab also but I just don't need it,the Rumble competes easily with the band as a stage monitor.Cant rave enough about it.
Used it for over 12 months now and I recommend it to anyone wanting to downsize without any hesitation.
Plus I can pick the thing up with one finger,so so lightweight :D

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:34 pm

thanks for that - will have a look at the Fender range....... when I bought my bass about 2yrs ago I tried out a musicman ray34? and they put it through a fender 150? combo and the amp sounded loud and was only on 2, so I can only imagine that the 500 v3 will be 2-3 times louder still

another option might be 2 separate cabs - http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrume ... 325334.htm
although I suspect that my EVO 900 head will be too powerful for these cabs.

Spoke to the wife about it last night and she was quite receptive to the idea.... she didn't like the idea of me breaking my back!

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:27 pm

pins wrote:Rumble 500 v3 Combo.
We do similar stuff to you guys and the guys in my band cant believe how good it is. Rarely use my Genz rig these days.
Hook up one of the matching lightweight ext cabs and get even more from it.
I thought about an ext cab also but I just don't need it,the Rumble competes easily with the band as a stage monitor.Cant rave enough about it.
Used it for over 12 months now and I recommend it to anyone wanting to downsize without any hesitation.
Plus I can pick the thing up with one finger,so so lightweight :D
I bought one off Trade me..... saw it for sale over the Xmas break while in Chch.... got back to Auckland and asked wifey nicely and she said 'yes'
picked it up Wednesday and tried it at home and was very impressed
Took it to the New Years gig and didn't have the master volume above 3.... so impressed with the sound and the volume it puts out.... I was going to get a 15' to pair with it, but I don't think I'll need one.
Plus I can fit it all in the car easily without having to put the seats down or anything!

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:38 am

Awesome news, glad your stoked with it. 8)

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:50 pm

pins wrote:Awesome news, glad your stoked with it. 8)
At last night gig singer asked me to turn down on stage!
I can't fault this amp one bit at the moment

basshead56
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
Belial
GOAT
The Hayfields

Post by basshead56 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:39 am

I really like those new Rumble 500's!!!
Tried one a few months ago and gave it serious thought. But in the end decided to that two Ampeg B100R's were enough combo-wise.

I have gone from small combos to big rigs, to monster big rigs, to halfstacks and back.
Lightweight seems to be the main selling point of a lot of the current gear on the market (tone, wattage and price being the other key determining factors) and for a while I prized it highly too.
But after years of tone chasing with various combinations of TC, MarkBass, Mesa, Aguilar and GenzBenz heads, cabinets and pedals, I have gone back to my old ways.
I ditched all of my lightweight stuff for a pair of Ampeg combos and replaced my Mesa big rig with an SVT classic and 8x10.
I have decided that life's too short and that the sound I have being trying to recreate with every other piece of gear under the sun has been the sound of a big Ampeg valve beast.
Yes it is the same weight as a small galaxy but for 'that' sound, my back and ute can take it. mind you, only playing a handful of gigs that require that size of amp. The rest, the B100r's are more than enough for.
And the sheer mass of the SVT means the usually heavy combos are lightweight by comparison :lol:

Downsizing is often a necessary evil, upsizing is heaps of fun too though :wink:
Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL,8x10
Ampeg SVT 4PRO, 610
Ampeg PF rig
Ampeg B-100R
Ampeg Micro VR rig (4sale)
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)

Kev77
Bronze Member

Post by Kev77 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:01 pm

I can lift my Markbass combo, 350 watts. With my little finger walk in with the bass and the combo, sorted. Single 12 ported
I wish I could play bass like John lee hooker

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:46 am

I must admit I felt a little sad as the bloke came around last night to pick up my Ashdown EVO 900 and my Warwick 4x10... I set it all up for him and he tried it with his bass and played around with it for a few mins before handing over the cash... the garage looks a little empty now.
I'd had the 4x10 since new in 2007 and it has been around the SI....

Wife wasn't that happy when I said I'd like to get a 1x15" to go with the fender rumble combo.... might have to work on that :D

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:33 pm

I bet you don't miss the weight though :wink: