Warwick Hellborg Rig, is it worth it?

Thunder Boxes!
Silver Member

Warwick Hellborg Rig, is it worth it?

Post by bronzet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Hey there all, i am looking at buying a new bass rig which could be used both in a gigging environment and for home practice use. The rig i have been interested in knowing more about is the Warwick Hellborg rig (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EVVQAIiR7g). I am most interested in the Hellborg series cabinets rather than the Hellborg amps and preamp. The Hellborg series seems to be inspired by studio grade gear like the Neve studio console (eg the bass preamp), and appears to be 'no compromise' with regards to the quality of the hardware components. The gear is obviously expensive to buy - the 2 x 15 inch 'big cab' costs 3399 at the Rockshop (http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/bass/amp ... -ohms.html), and the amp and preamp costs around the same as the cabinets. I am interested to know if anybody owns any part(s) of the Warwick Hellborg series rig and can give any feedback/review regarding how it sounds and how good it is. Unfort the Rockshop down here in Dunedin doesn't have any of the Hellborg equipment in stock, so i haven't been able to try it out for myself.
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015

Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: Warwick Hellborg Rig, is it worth it?

Post by martyforrer » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:44 am

Are you a fan of JH? Do you like his sound? Personally I find from experience that what sounds good in your room, or rehearsal, often is completely different on stage with a loud band and a venue full of punters. Another factor is that 15" speakers tend to have limited throw, 2x 4x10 cabs will throw and distribute bass sound a lot better than 2x15s. This does not answer your question, just some random thoughts.