Hartke bass combo issue

Thunder Boxes!
greghr
Bronze Member

Hartke bass combo issue

Post by greghr » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:36 am

Hi Fellow bass players. Haven't posted for ages.
Happy New Year and may the live gigs flow in for you all.

A question for you bass amp experts:

I have a newish Hartke 210 500 watt bass combo with the Neo dynamiun speakers. When I turn it on, after a couple of seconds it makes a horrible booming screech for a couple more seconds then settles down and otherwise works fine. It's a very disconcerting sound that makes you want to run for the hills.

It is plugged into a multi box that is plugged into an outlet. All controls are set to flat and the limiter is off. There is no separate gain control just the volume which is at zero. It seem to do it both when the bass is plugged and unplugged.
Any suggestions as to why it does this.

Thanks in anticipation.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Re: Hartke bass combo issue

Post by martyforrer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:46 am

I'd be getting that looked at by an amp guy, it would be a shame to damage your speakers.

greghr
Bronze Member

Re: Hartke bass combo issue

Post by greghr » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Thanks for the response Marty.

I've taken it back to where I bought it and it will go off to the servicing guy. It looks like it may be a problem with the initial protection circuit that fires up when first starting up. If I shut it down after after it has warmed up the tubes after first start up when it makes that noise, it does not make the noise again on second start up. We'll see. Hopefully it's still covered by warranty.