Amp Setup

Thunder Boxes!
mickeyj4j
Bronze Member

Amp Setup

Post by mickeyj4j » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:48 pm

I like my Roland Cube 20XL Bass amp. This is a 20w bass amp with Rolands XL feature which makes tbis amp sound bigger than 20w. It has a great set of features and I like the built in effects it has. I want to use it on stage as the effects. As this is a small amp I would like to know how to plug this into a bigger stage amp. At one venue i play regularly they have a Samick 80w amp. Here are the important parts.

My Amp: Roland Cube 20XL Bass
Output: RECORDING OUT/phones
Manual: Cube 20XL Bass Amp

Stage Amp: Samick 80w
Inputs: 1. Hi 2.Low 3. Effects Input

My setup will be
Bass>Cube amp>Stage amp.
Where would be the best place plug the, recording/headphone out of the, Cube into the stage amp. 1. Hi input 2. Low input or 3. Effects return.

I am hoping the effects return will bypass the main amp settings and just use it as a cab. Then I can use my cube as a head amp woo hoo.
This is a temporary solution until I can save up for the Roland Cube 120XL which has option for an external cab

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help you have to share.
Last edited by mickeyj4j on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

potatoes
Silver Member

Re: Amp Setup

Post by potatoes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Well, it would probably work, there shouldn't be any harm in trying at any rate. Seems a little convoluted to me in terms of a live set up but I suppose it's no more complicated than a pedal board..

Remember even if you bypass the secondary amp's EQ by going through the effects return, the cabinet will still be voiced different and sound different so it won't sound exactly the same

irvinz
Gold Member

Re: Amp Setup

Post by irvinz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:20 am

Might be the wrong levels for the effects input
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com