New Bass rig

Thunder Boxes!
EduanSnarf

New Bass rig

Post by EduanSnarf » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi all,

I am new to the site (or at least my first post) and am a drummer turned bassist. I have been extremely fortunate to already own gear that outweighs my talent/ skill level. I have a 2013 Warwick thumb BO 4 string with a GK 1001 RB ii head and a Mesa Powerhouse 212 600w @ 8ohm. I use the sansamp para driver too. I am not gigging - just jamming with a friend and the rig I have is just too powerful even at lower volumes. The casters help on the cab but lifting is a mission - and I do struggle with my wrists a bit. Perhaps I'm just lazy. I'm def keen on going a modular route and the 2x 112 setup appeals to me. I am new to all the gear but have looked into hartke hydrives and gk neo cabs and I'll probably go for a 500w 4ohm solid state head. Any recommendations at all please? I have heard great things from the markbass combos too. I reckon being so spoiled for juice is overwhelming most days. I don't play crazy metal and enjoy tapping and playing melodic chord on my bass. I don't want to break my back either. So one cab for now and I can do the second later. I just don't want to be in a position to be two or three rigs and it's pointless.

Thanks

Eduan

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Re: New Bass rig

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:06 am

Hi Eduan,

I used to have a large 4x10 Warwick speaker cab and a big Ashdown head - the sound was good, but I was getting sick of lugging the cabinet around week in week out, so I bought a fender rumble V3 500 combo and couldn't be happier - they are about $1k at the Rock Shop
it weighs only 17 kgs and for a 2x10 combo it puts out a great sound
I'm a gigging bass player and always DI the bass amp to the PA, so I don't need a loud amp on stage

I've heard good things about Mark Bass and Aguilar bass amps, but I've not tried them out
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

EduanSnarf

Re: New Bass rig

Post by EduanSnarf » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:08 am

Hi BM

Thanks for the reply. I get you. I am also tired of the heavy stuff although being only 30 and not gigging hahaha. Small foot print and easy to move. I have seen those - they look and sound great.