Thoughts on a new rig

Thunder Boxes!
Whero

Thoughts on a new rig

Post by Whero » Wed May 24, 2017 10:47 pm

I'm getting back into playing live after about 20 years, but the only amp I own now is a Fender Bassman Sidekick 100w combo, with a single 15" speaker, that must be at least 30 years old. There's a lot of static in the pots and a lot of buzz from the speaker when the cone is moving, even at moderate volume. Time to get something new, and the missus owes me big time so I should be allowed to get something reasonable.

At the moment I'm looking for people's ideas about the configuration. I thought I'd get a decent combo I could use for solo and group practice and smaller gigs, and is easy to move around, as portability is a requirement. Later, add an extension cabinet if there's a need to move more air. There are a number of 2x10 combos I like the look of, but I'm not sure what might be best for the ext cab. Another 2x10, or a 1x15? Or a different setup altogeter? If it makes any difference I'm playing a 5-string, so low B.
When I was a little boy, I told my dad, "When I grow up, I want to be a musician." He said: "You can’t do both, son."
― Chet Atkins

bronzet
Silver Member

Re: Thoughts on a new rig

Post by bronzet » Thu May 25, 2017 10:12 am

Hey there, welcome to the forum. It depends on how loud you need to be. There are a pair of Ampeg SVT 210AVs on Trademe at the moment which could provide you with options (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1330193340) + you would still need to find an amp. I have found that the light weight Class D amps are pretty good these days and have that advantage over traditional valve amps because they wont break your back when you are trying to move them to rehearsals or gigs. Examples of some of the Class D amps include the Ampeg Portoflex PF series which you can find on the Rockshop website (https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/bass/am ... to%5D=5299) . I would recommend that you go to the Rockshop and Musicplanet and go play on some of their rigs for sale as a possible starting point and look on the internet / youtube to see what is out there - these days we are spoilt for choice especially if money is not an issue (http://barefacedbass.com/product-range.htm).
Good luck :)
Bronze
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

Whero

Post by Whero » Thu May 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi Bronze - thanks for the welcome, and the reply.

I do like Ampeg gear - the BA210 is one of the combos on my try-out list, along with the Fender Rumble 500, Gallien-Krueger MB-210 and MarkBass CMD 102P - all available at Rockshop. You seem to be recommending not going with a combo though - any particular reason, other than the SVT 210s being available? My transport space is limited so a combo sounded like a good idea, as that's all I'd need maybe 80% of the time. Something like the PF-500 with a PF-410HLF would be great though (I note the 410 isn't one of the flip-top cabinets though).
When I was a little boy, I told my dad, "When I grow up, I want to be a musician." He said: "You can’t do both, son."
― Chet Atkins

bronzet
Silver Member

Post by bronzet » Thu May 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Combos are great too, including the Ampeg combos available at the Rockshop. I have a Trace Elliot quad combo from the 90s which is outstanding, and it has an extension speaker output which i had put an 18 inch sub on for extra boom / volume. However i have noticed there are not too many combos designed with a powerful extension speaker option so do look closely at the features on the combo amp if you need an extension speaker option for the bigger gigs. Rockshop and Musicplanet are great, however do keep an eye out on Trademe because they too can have some great deals from time to time.
Bronze
Fender Jazz 1968
Fender Precision 1972
Musicman Stingray 1978
Peavey T40 1983
MIT Yamaha Attitude LTD 1 1990
Wal Mk2 1993
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe 2005
MIK Yamaha RBXJM2 2005
MIK Fender Jazz Deluxe V 2008
Rickenbacker 4003 2015
+others

Whero

Post by Whero » Thu May 25, 2017 4:33 pm

i have noticed there are not too many combos designed with a powerful extension speaker option
A while ago I had an opportunity to buy an Eden 2x10 combo at a really good price and nearly jumped, but after a bit of google-foo I discovered that when you plug into the extension speaker socket it cuts off the internal speakers - not what I was looking for.
― Chet Atkins