I just bought a GK 800RB

Thunder Boxes!
timi
Gold Member

I just bought a GK 800RB

Post by timi » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:10 pm

So yeah, after pretty much deciding never to go back to solid state, and swearing never to have a GK again, I bought a GK....

I had a 700RB MK1, which along with the 1001RM MK1 has a REALLY bad reliability record. I had countless problems with mine and wasn't too into the tone, the final time it blew GK (through ELFA) replaced the entire insides with MK2 boards and I sold it straight away because it had bad karma. For the record the MK2 ones are meant to be super reliable.

I just got an 80's 800RB, which are meant to be super reliable and have a less sterile sound than the newer GK's, and be the loudest 300 watt solid state heads around. My pedals determine my tone so much now that I think I could almost use any amp so I figured I would give it a go. I will get it late next week and I'm looking forward to it, even though it goes against all my morals.

For the record, this does not mean I will slap or play a 5 string, I still have some dignity 8)

john
Gold Member

Re: I bought a GK......

Post by john » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:14 pm

cool is that to go with your new bass :D :D
http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/phpbb2/view ... ?f=36&t=80
sorry timi dont mean to give s#!t...well i do but hope you dont take it to heart .
heres a cool new avatar for you
Attachments
solid.jpg
solid.jpg (4.72 KiB) Viewed 2945 times

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:56 pm

Haha, I used to own an Ibanez :oops:

Never owned a 5 string though.

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi Timi

Its a wise man who never says never..

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:28 am

Like i say Timi, our taste continually evolves, what you dont like one year you like the next and so on , (it could go all the way in a big circle according to Mr. Glyn) i dont understand how you bag actives yet own one (and pine for your stingray of old), bag gk's yet purchase one :?: BTW had to double check posting this as im getting you confused with Tim1.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:09 pm

I bagged GK from my personal experience from with the one I had, and other things people told me about reliability.
When I started visiting the Talkbass forums I realised that the particular GK I had was a piece of crap, as were the ones I saw blow up at shows.
From what I have read it was the late 90's until around 2004 that GK made some bad stuff, but prior to and after that period their stuff is meant to be really reliable.
I also had the idea of it being a hireage amp. Lots of bands really like the 800RB and I can probably get up to $150 per night for hiring it out with my 8x10.

You never know, this amp might be for sale a few days after I get it :wink:
I don't really know why I bought it, I guess I see it as giving the brand a second chance after reading so many good things about them on talkbass.

For the record I do own an active bass, but it can be run in passive mode and thats what I use (infact I hardly ever use that bass).I tried to sell it but it seems nobody is interested in a G&L.I like the Stingray look and feel, but to be honest I don't really like the sound. If I got one I would look into a replacement passive pickup.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:27 pm

I'm surprised the G&L never went.
NZ is a funny place for selling stuff.

little skeptical on the hire age angle though comrade.
It is a known fact Bass Players have no bread.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:00 pm

You don't think people will want to hire it?
I know people who put tours on who would probably hire that rig for the Wellington show. They don't seem to be picky about what amp it is, as long as its loud enough and a decent brand they are fine with it.

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:10 pm

Surely if people are hiring a rig, they are getting it through the same people providing the whole system? Depends on the gig though I guess!

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:16 pm

Most venues in Wellington have their own PA rigs, and most touring bands bring their own guitar amps (sometimes hire cabs locally).
Touring bands hardly ever bring their own bass rig, something is usually hired and used by all the bands playing.

When I tour I ALWAYS take my my own head, but it seems this isn't the norm.

I only know of one other person in Wellington who hires "pro" bass amps, he has a 400+ and a few SVT-CL's and 8x10s, but he charges quite a lot and not everyone wants those amps.

Dan

Post by Dan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:45 pm

Well then you should be able to make some dosh. I was thinking more outdoor/concert type gigs, where big P.A's and rigs all come from one company.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:54 pm

No, sorry it was another poor attempt at humor
ie: Bass Players and lack of funds

there is this joke about Musicians at the pearly gates

first Musician
"let me in , I played one 200 records and gave 150000 to the orphanage"
Gates open

2nd musician
"let me in, I did 3 world tours and gave 2000000 to save the whales"
Gates open

3rd Musician
"um I played for 38 years, earned nothing and hence gave nothing to charity"
Big voice says
"what sort of Bass did you play?".

no slur on GK
and as I have posted before I like the way you are always looking at "your sound".

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:50 am

lol :lol:
I must have bought one of the reliable GK's
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:43 pm

Old 400RB right?

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:10 pm

Yep :-) I'm positive there are better sounding amps out there.. but I dont' dare try them out for fair I would go on a spending spree! Ignorance is bliss for me at the moment! :wink:
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz