Laney Amps - Entry level or better?

Thunder Boxes!
beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Laney Amps - Entry level or better?

Post by beagle » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:08 am

Well... I'm not a supporter of Laney Amps. In fact I've never played or heard one. But I've heard of a new 300w combo with 2x 10" celestions for $1000... then add an additional 1x15" cabinet for another $500.

Yes you generally get what you pay for but this could be a great setup for any new bass players with not much dosh.

Any one tried them out?

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:00 pm

In my experience there is nothing at all wrong with Laney amps, good British made stuff.

And that setup at that price sounds like a pretty good deal.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:02 pm

My experience is the opposite, pigs of an amp, poor internal layout, shoddy customer service, and really hard to fix.

If budget is main factor , I suggest Peavey in the same price zone, limited tone options but reliable and fixable.

Dan

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:29 pm

Heh, funnily enough thats my experience with Peavey's :lol:

Like I'll always say, its so subjective. While I may like a buxom brunette from sweden, you might prefer a buxon blonde from sweden. Everything has different qualities that people like, especially amps...my bass doesn't sound very good through certain brands, just due to the tonal qualities of the bass.

Thats why I always find it hard to honestly recommend stuff, because in the grand scheme you can only point someone in the right direction, and they'll make their minds up as to what they like :D

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:59 pm

Well from what I've heard... you could both be right! I know Laney amps have been around for ages and I never heard anything bad about them but apparently in recent years the quality and design wasn't up to scratch. Apparently they have addressed those issues with their latest models... which is why it would be interesting to know if anyones tried those?

ah... my Peavey TNT150 ... I used to think that was the bees knees!

Sweden has produced some great models! 8)

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:50 pm

Yeah , I sort of think it is important to rate the reliability of Amps in a "blind/online" review/recco.

If we assume that all Amps and Speakers will need professional repairs , than those brands which are complimentary to the process should "rate" higher.

which is why I said Peavey, the Databass model is the only item of there's which fails on a manufacture/design level. Their gear is also repairable in NZ with minimal effort, I do think this is important...

no I don't play Peavey or work for them etc, I just liken them "pricewise" to Laney.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:57 pm

Yep good call

BrendonM
Silver Member
MySpace Page: http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo

Post by BrendonM » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:29 pm

My first rig was a Laney 4x12 with an old Holden amp. It pumped but was a huge thing to move around the place. In the end I bought a Fender 160watt combo (15inch speaker) which I still have for practicing and very small gigs.

The Laney worked very well, although I did only use the quad and not the amps. In saying that I do have Laney amps in my P.A. rig and have never had a problem.
cheers
BrendonM

Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String, Ibanez, Takamine & Westone Basses.
Fender / Peavey Amplification with Ashdown cabinets, Zoom effects.
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/BrendonMo
Bebo Group - http://www.bebo.com/javamusic

Cirrus

Post by Cirrus » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:31 pm

For what it's worth, I'd think twice about buying any current Laney offering. They've have a bad rep with technicians for quite some years, and I think that's important to note. If it's for the bedroom or jamming, or very occasional gigging, then if you like one, it could be worth taking a punt. That said; the build quality of recent offerings by many other makers has left a lot to be desired, so my advice would be to tread very carefully when considering any recently made amp.
99 Peavey Cirrus 4 Walnut Fretless, 98 Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass, 96 Epi El Capitan-4, 99 Warwick W-CL, Johnson J-Station, Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI21 & Acoustic ADI21, Daphon E20CM, E20DS & E20PH, Boss CE-2B & EH-2, other instruments & things

James

Re: Laney Amps - Entry level or better?

Post by James » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:14 am

I've had 3 Laney amps so far

- a Laney HCM120 guitar amp - 120 watt solid state sounded like a can of wasps and the most sterile clean you've ever heard. It was solidly built, very loud, very cheap though. Pretty sure mine was made in England, though this series or the current equivilent are now made in China. Flicked mine on to some dude who played through a POD or something similar and just wanted a loud clean amp to play through. Suited him fine.

- a Laney RBW200 bass amp - 125 watt solid state, made in England, 12 inch driver and a speaker out for an extra cab. Bought this at the time because it was the gruntiest amp I could find that would fit into a Honda prelude. I've previous had a Fender BXR and a Peavey TNT of similar wattages and this thing was much punchier and much more portable. Used it for a couple of years, jamming and gigging and it was solid, reliable and loud enough. When I eventually bought a car with a bit more room and sold it there was 1 nick on the vinyl otherwise still looked mint. Sorta wish I still had it as lugging a cab around is a pain in the arse.

- a Laney LC15 guitar amp - 15 watt class A guitar amp. Still have this one, bought it as a practice amp for the office, but cant even turn it up to 1 without making my ears hurt in a small room. Got it 2nd hand so its got a few years on it, no problems with it.

As far as the good / bad to service thing I wouldn't know as none of mine ever had a problem. Have found it all to be very reliable.

beagle
Site Admin

Re: Laney Amps - Entry level or better?

Post by beagle » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:59 am

James wrote:are now made in China.
Yeah i think you're right. Most of them are made in China now. You'd hope the top end units would be still made in the UK.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz