What's your rig?

Thunder Boxes!
fatoomsh

Re: What's your rig?

Post by fatoomsh » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:25 am

Hey all. New guy here so I thought Id try to assimilate by chucking my rig on here with everyone else.

Playing an 88 stingray but currently being wooed by a battered 72 jazz I neeeeed. Had the stingray for about 18 years but it spent about 6 of those under my bed doing f all.
Have just returned from a 10 year retirement. Sold a bitchin SWR rig after my cat climbed into the back of it and had to be cut out. Now using a bashed up BK Bulter amp into 2 15" celestions. Monster bottom end for playing down tuned heavy blues/rock. Wasnt going to spendcash to rebuild my gear but the bug has bitten hard and Im finding gear that I want everywhere now. The missus is spewing.
Also use a diamond compressor and randy bachman fuzzbox(when required) for added filth. Loves me a bit of bass fuzz.

Cheers.

manofthematch
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Tahuna Breaks

Post by manofthematch » Sat May 10, 2014 12:03 am

Ampeg SVT3Pro + SVT-410HE + SVT-15E
And when it's just a smaller gig or for practice I'll use my trusty Gallien-Krueger MB150S
Fender Jazz US Highway 1, Fender Jazz fretless MIM, EB Musicman Stingray, EB Musicman Stingray 5, Line6 effects, Ampeg SVT amplification

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:14 pm

This...
rig.jpg

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Nice rig cjj !
Hey did your container finally arrive ? More Ric's ?
I'm half blind these days, can you give me a run down on what's feeding what in the rig.I recognise some things :D

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:43 pm

The first container was supposed to arrive in Chch today, I don't know about the 2nd one. Still have to deal with customs, etc. With my luck they'll want a pile of money... :roll:

As for the rack, the bottom is a custom designed unit that has stereo/mono inputs (I usually run my Ricks stereo, pickups separated). It also has inputs for an audio source for practice, and another stereo input I use for keyboards.

The separate pickups go to the 2 Sansamp RPMs (in Mono they are combined) to process each pickup independently. After the RPMs everything continues as stereo.

The next unit is a Rane DC-24 stereo compressor/limiter. Then a Lexicon MX-200 in case I want some cool effects. I usually just add a bit of reverb, though the octave generation can be pretty cool.

Then each pickup's channel goes to the Rane AC-22B active crossover to separate the high and low frequencies from each pickup. These 4 channels go back to the bottom custom box where the high channels are mixed separately from the low channels. High and low channels then go separately to the Carvin DCM 1540L power amp to give a high and a low speaker channel. The Carvin 1540L is 1500 Watts, 750 Watts per channel. OK, I'm a bit worried I'll upset the Chch residents by making them think we're having another quake.
:lol:

I generally use Ampeg speakers, 10's for the high channel, 15's for the low channel...

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:56 pm

Jeez cjj, that's some rig. The tone and clarity at volume must be amazing :mrgreen: . What speakers are you using (and what does the sound engineer think)?
I have downsized to an Ampeg V4B into one or two Ampeg 210AV cabs (vertically stacked) for small to medium gigs and this rig really does work well to get that Ampeg fridge vibe at lower volumes, plus very easy to move. Working especially well for a stage show I am currently backing. Options for bigger stages are Orange AD200 into Bergantino NV215 or NV115 and Fender Super Bassman into Fender 610 neo cab or Ampeg 410HLF. Three all tube heads at 100, 200 and 300 watts - I love me tubes.

cjj
Bronze Member

Post by cjj » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:02 pm

I used to use a pair of Ampeg SVT15E's for the low and an 410HE with a 210HE for the high. I downsized for the move and only kept one 15E and the 210HE. I've got WAY too much power for that, but I'm not doing much playing right now anyway. Of course all my stuff except one bass is in some container in Lyttleton so how could I?
:roll: :lol: :lol:

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Fatoomsh: - so, your cat was after the tweety huh? :roll:

basshead56
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
Belial
GOAT
The Hayfields

Post by basshead56 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Mine depends on which hemisphere I'm in (for now) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back home (but soon to be in transit) there's:
A Marshall VBA400 and 2x VBC412's rig from the glory days of festivals, big outdoor shows and when I was just trying to keep up with two guitarists who had full-stacks :lol: What a rig though. So much punch and enough headroom and power to move a stubborn elephant! All in road cases - it's a b*stard of a thing to have to shift solo. i miss having roadies from time to time... It's also funny watching a short-a*se like me on tip-toes plugging in (or so I'm told...)

There's also a couple of Ampeg rigs -
SVT 4PRO and 610HLF (my everyday rig) which sounds mint no matter what you plug into it. My favourite sound was my Thunderbird Studio IV straight into this rig, mids rolled all the way back, slight bass boost and treble well.
Ampeg Micro VR and 2 VR 210 cabs - great for jamming with a single cab and plenty capable of gigs with both cabs on the go.

Down here, I've got two:
Mesa M-Pulse 600 and Powerhouse 810 - was never really that keen on Mesa stuff back home. Did have a 400+ for a very brief period but it was too powerful for my needs. Oh, how I wish I'd kept it now...
Still, this rig is massively badass!!! Never heard such clarity! And far more power than I could ever need. Only downside of course is the size and weight aspect - heavy as a heavy thing

On the flipside, I also have a smaller more portable rig for small gigs and rehearsals - consisting of a TC BH250 and Mesa Scout 15 cab. Head goes in a wee bag and weighs about 4lbs. The cab weighs something like 17kgs so I can load-in my entire setup including amp, bass in bag and Pedaltrain in one handy trip from the car.
I don't use the Toneprint feature too often, other than the compressor as I have a decent pedal set up. Must have a proper play with that one of these nights though.
I put everything through my board (which is built around a VT Deluxe which I use as pre-amp) and into either amp. There's a tuner, SuperSynth, Enigma QBalls, Looper. I'll be adding a compressor and a fuzz in the next few weeks.
For upright playing, I mainly just DI straight from my VT. Occasionally I'll bring the TC/Scout rig for bigger shows if I need more monitoring on stage.
Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby Upright
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL, Ampeg 8x10
Ampeg B-100R
Ampeg PF rig
Ampeg Micro VR & 210AV
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Wow,you have lots of cool gear 8) That Marshall rig sounds killer !!...and nice that you still have lots of your gear from days gone by.

You will need to get a "family photo" when it's all in one place.....now that would be cool,then link them all up and nuke the neighbourhood :lol:

But,but,but !!! your giving me gas !!!!!! :)

basshead56
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
Belial
GOAT
The Hayfields

Post by basshead56 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 pm

pins wrote:Wow,you have lots of cool gear 8) That Marshall rig sounds killer !!...and nice that you still have lots of your gear from days gone by.

You will need to get a "family photo" when it's all in one place.....now that would be cool,then link them all up and nuke the neighbourhood :lol:

But,but,but !!! your giving me gas !!!!!! :)
I'm counting down the days... :lol:
Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby Upright
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL, Ampeg 8x10
Ampeg B-100R
Ampeg PF rig
Ampeg Micro VR & 210AV
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Using this a bit at the moment
Jansen 50 Bassman
Ashdown ABM 15/10
71 Jazz

[img]http://imgur.com/UA5Wjns[/img]
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:17 am

Upright: 1989 German carved top with Barbera transducer and Superior Bassworks strings into Phil Jones Bass 150 watt Flightcase (2x5" forward, 2x5" vertical).
Slab: Mongrel Fender P into 1990 GK RB400 into PJB 6x5" cab.
I can near double the volume of either with a Custom Audio Engineering LineDriver.
Lap Steel: Homemade into Boss Reverb/Delay into PJB Flightcase.
Pedal Steel: Lomax Monarch 10 string (NZ made) with Goodrich volume pedal.

Gas free..... although a Greenboy Fearless 1x12 would be nice if I could afford it.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:42 am

Picked up a nineties Trace Elliott V4 all tube 200 watt head off TradeMe. These amps are one of the holy grails of tube heads for those in the know. Beaten up but works great and good value for a grand I reckon. Four KT88s and handwired - lovely, smooth and creamy tone. Has its own character which is more vintage than modern, but stays clean almost to ten. Might send it to Ben Fulton at Ampstig at some stage for a recap, but for the moment all seems well.
Suppose I am a tube junkie with an Ampeg V4B, Orange AD200 and Fender Super Bassman 300 also in the stable, although I always take my Markbass head with me as backup. Truth be told in these times of decent PAs and monitors 300 tube watts is overkill, but the clean headroom is a joy on a large outdoor stage. Played a large bike rally with the SB300 on top of an 810 at the weekend - I could easily have got by with less but hey, it was fun, and the Ricky sounded amazing through it.
Speaking of Ampstig, a little plug for it. Ben is of course better know as the designer of Red Witch pedals but he has a passion for tubes and set this up for those of us who share his passion. Plus he is a great guitarist, hell of a nice guy and a former student of mine..... :) . Ben might be a guitarist but his brother Dan is one hell of a bass player, so I guess that makes him close enough to being one of us :wink: . He operates out of Kapiti in Wellington and there is an Ampstig web site.

monster
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Easy, Taranaki Symphony Orchestra

Post by monster » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Tim1 wrote:Picked up a nineties Trace Elliott V4 all tube 200 watt head off TradeMe. These amps are one of the holy grails of tube heads for those in the know. Beaten up but works great and good value for a grand I reckon. Four KT88s and handwired - lovely, smooth and creamy tone. Has its own character which is more vintage than modern, but stays clean almost to ten. Might send it to Ben Fulton at Ampstig at some stage for a recap, but for the moment all seems well.
Noooooo way!
Good spotting and a great score! I remember reading a review of a prototype in the UK published 'The Guitar Magazine' in the mid 1990's. I've probably still got the mag somewhere...
Looked like a lovely unit, and just what I would have wanted, but well outside of my price range as a university student. I also remember being wary because I didn't personally like the 1990's era Trace Elliot solid-state stuff.

I remember seeing one of these in the ChCh Rockshop, just after I got Steve Bartlett to build me a custom MOSFET amp for gigging...
Suppose I am a tube junkie with an Ampeg V4B, Orange AD200 and Fender Super Bassman 300 also in the stable, although I always take my Markbass head with me as backup. Truth be told in these times of decent PAs and monitors 300 tube watts is overkill, but the clean headroom is a joy on a large outdoor stage. Played a large bike rally with the SB300 on top of an 810 at the weekend - I could easily have got by with less but hey, it was fun, and the Ricky sounded amazing through it.
Tube amp junkies... unite! 8)
3 is enough for me. Probably live to regret saying that ;)