Post by john » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:29 pm

I got me a new toy :D
And a crappy cell phone pic

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: splt-second top Auckland covers band

Re: What's your rig?

Post by Mr Bass Man » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Let me guess - it's lighter than the laptop it's sitting on?
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

joppo

Post by joppo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:00 pm

Nice John. How does it compare to the TC?

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:31 pm

Mr Bass Man wrote:Let me guess - it's lighter than the laptop it's sitting on?
Funny enough, it actually is
joppo wrote:Nice John. How does it compare to the TC?
I've only had one practice and one gig with it through an unfamiliar cab, so it's early days.

But first impressions; they both have a really nice full mid range and you can get a good grit and plenty of punch out of both of them.
The TC obviously has a lot more features, well though out features. The TH has a more open, high end. I wasn't sure if I would like the treble and bass eq points on the TH being 40 hz and 4 khz, I thought they wouldn't do much for my tweeterless cabinets that don't go very high or low but I was defiantly hearing a big change with little movement on the dial so I guess the Q must be quite wide.
The mid point on the TH is sweepable which I like. All the 4 bands on the TC are sweepable which I really like.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:33 pm

Hey that's cool John. Are you going to keep the TC?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:51 pm

I think so. I'm in the honey moon faze with the aggie right now but I think it's a little more suited to what I'm doing right now. But the tc was better suited to me the last few years and who knows what I'll be doing in the future.
Doesn't hurt to have a back up either and I can't see myself wanting to lift the Jansen to a gig. Awesome amp but weighs a ton

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:19 pm

my new toys :D :D :D
370122854.jpg
I was looking for a practice amp and found this - came with a sonic G4 guitar in a hard case, strap and lead - not bad for $200
the amp is ok - great for home practices - and the bass is surprisingly easy to play and sounds pretty good (once I tuned it all up)
the case for my Squire modified jazz is a little beaten up, but it fits in the case for the Sonic (which is nearly new!)
Wife wants me to sell the Sonic Bass "you don't need 2 bass guitars" was what she said to me when we got it home!
I was hoping to keep it.... after all my wife does have about 50 pairs of shoes and I'm sure she doesn't NEED all of them.... LOL!
"We became rich a lot later than I thought - now I'm too old to enjoy my money" - John 'Thunderfingers' Entwhistle

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:20 pm

As of today...

Holy crap this thing is good. And loud!! The whole set up weighs about 13kg as well. I think this will do me for jazz and the majority of rock stuff.. Will eventually save up for the second 112 cab to cover the rare situation where I have to be really, really loud

Can't praise this thing enough really

The cab is a "super light" 1x12

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:40 pm

I haven't tried any Aguilar gear but that sure looks cool Potatoes. Nice one!
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:01 pm

Nice rig,potatoes. I've got the same head and I must say it's really up my allay. If the speakers I have didn't fulfill my needs the one(s) you have would be the first on my list to try out

potatoes
Silver Member

Post by potatoes » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Just added a second SL112 to the set up with awesome results. I was finding in high volume settings with the one cabinet the tone wasn't sounding as good as I knew it should, so I think adding the second cabinet to the mix has solved that issue - much louder and able to push all those nice tones at high volume as well. Gave it a good old test at the music in the parks on upright the other weekend and it passed with flying colours (DI on the head carried FOH nicely too I'm told)

Also, not many people know about these lightweight cabs, so when people see me carrying one in each hand they think I'm super strong :D I haven't done it yet but I reckon I could get the electric on my back, carry the amp head over the shoulder in the bag it came with, upright bass in one arm and a cabinet in the other. I'm all about the single trip load in!!

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:38 pm

potatoes wrote:Just added a second SL112 to the set up with awesome results. I was finding in high volume settings with the one cabinet the tone wasn't sounding as good as I knew it should, so I think adding the second cabinet to the mix has solved that issue - much louder and able to push all those nice tones at high volume as well. Gave it a good old test at the music in the parks on upright the other weekend and it passed with flying colours (DI on the head carried FOH nicely too I'm told)

Also, not many people know about these lightweight cabs, so when people see me carrying one in each hand they think I'm super strong :D I haven't done it yet but I reckon I could get the electric on my back, carry the amp head over the shoulder in the bag it came with, upright bass in one arm and a cabinet in the other. I'm all about the single trip load in!!
they give way once it goes to louder volumes on a full stage. i try and direct it to my ears a bit more. cant afford that second one yet!
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

Mr Bass Man
Silver Member

Post by Mr Bass Man » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:12 am

Well I sold the sonic bass above (wife wouldn't let me have 2 basses unfortunately) and after Christmas I bought a Fender Rumble 500 V3 2x10 Bass Combo. photos are just from the web

Hands down it is the best and lightest amp I've ever had.... only weighs 17kgs and the sound from the amp is amazing.
I was worried that being 2x10 it would be lacking in the bottom end but no this amp has plenty of bottom end
At the gig last weekend guitarist actually asked me to turn it down on stage!!! - I had to turn it down from volume 3 to 2.
I was going to get an extn cab to go with the amp, but I don't think I need to

had to sell my Ashdown EVO 900 III and my warwick 4x10, but this amp more than makes up for it.

I'm one happy chappy at the moment!
Attachments
fender 1.jpg
fender.jpg

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:55 am

potatoes wrote:Just added a second SL112 to the set up with awesome results. I was finding in high volume settings with the one cabinet the tone wasn't sounding as good as I knew it should, so I think adding the second cabinet to the mix has solved that issue - much louder and able to push all those nice tones at high volume as well. Gave it a good old test at the music in the parks on upright the other weekend and it passed with flying colours (DI on the head carried FOH nicely too I'm told)

Heh, heh.... I can do that too.... upright in one arm, GK MB800 and Barefaced One10 in the other.... good, innit?

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:33 pm

My rig is
Ashdown 300CMT All Tube Head
Ashdown ABM 1510H Cab

Far and away the 'best' set up I have owned. Works well with all my Basses and for whatever reason let's all of my pedal board speak out better than I'm used to.

I will get a 'little' amp for small gigs, maybe an Aguilar or one of those Prometheans.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes