What's your rig?

Thunder Boxes!
Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Re: What's your rig?

Post by Fenderfan » Tue May 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Wicked thread on the bfm forum. I love reading through people's builds etc, get ideas, tips etc for a 'one day I wanna build a....' And always prefer reading through kiwi builds too. :) Nice looking cabs too - I was lucky enough to have the lend of two of Harley's jack12's, and thats definately a bit of me. Might have to do a bit more investigating price wise......
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

JonoSkip

Post by JonoSkip » Wed May 09, 2012 8:56 am

beagle wrote:Hey yeah... really nice looking job Jono. 8)
Thanks Beagle :D
Fenderfan wrote:Wicked thread on the bfm forum. I love reading through people's builds etc, get ideas, tips etc for a 'one day I wanna build a....' And always prefer reading through kiwi builds too. :) Nice looking cabs too - I was lucky enough to have the lend of two of Harley's jack12's, and thats definately a bit of me. Might have to do a bit more investigating price wise......
Thanks Fenderfan. Yeah my cabs aren't up to Harleys standard but not too bad for a first attempt with little woodworking chops. They are a very easy build, the plans are great and there is always plenty of advice on the forum. PM me if you want any advice on where to get things and what it costs. I'm about to total up the build cost which should be interesting. I'd really like to build some more from the site but can't justify it at the moment. :(
2x BFM Jack 112 (DIY), Cort Action A, GenzBenz Streamliner 600.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed May 09, 2012 11:53 am

Cool build thread on those jacks Jono.
Can I ask what the crossover is for? Since you didn't build them with tweeters. Is it a high pass filter to filter out the sub bass frequencies?
Also since it has no tweeters around what frequency does it start to cut off?

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Wed May 09, 2012 11:54 am

Love those Streamliners.

JonoSkip

Post by JonoSkip » Wed May 09, 2012 1:37 pm

john wrote:Cool build thread on those jacks Jono.
Can I ask what the crossover is for? Since you didn't build them with tweeters. Is it a high pass filter to filter out the sub bass frequencies?
They are a low pass filter with a 2kHz cutoff frequency and they increase the sensitivity of the woofer by about 2dB from 1.6-2kHz (paraphrasing the plans). Strongly recommended in the plans so in they go. Even without the tweets, the response is still pretty good up to 3.5kHz (edit: was 5kHz) from the SPL charts.
Last edited by JonoSkip on Wed May 09, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonoSkip

Post by JonoSkip » Wed May 09, 2012 1:39 pm

T-Dub wrote:Love those Streamliners.
Yip, sure am :D

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed May 09, 2012 7:23 pm

JonoSkip wrote:
john wrote:Cool build thread on those jacks Jono.
They are a low pass filter with a 2kHz cutoff frequency and they increase the sensitivity of the woofer by about 2dB from 1.6-2kHz (paraphrasing the plans). Strongly recommended in the plans so in they go. Even without the tweets, the response is still pretty good up to 5kHz from the SPL charts.
How it have a 2 k cut off and still go up to 5 k? I don't really understand how these cabs work is it something to do with the design? Very interesting

JonoSkip

Post by JonoSkip » Wed May 09, 2012 8:20 pm

john wrote:How it have a 2 k cut off and still go up to 5 k? I don't really understand how these cabs work is it something to do with the design? Very interesting
Sorry John, it's actually 3.5kHz which is still pretty good (was at work and rushed it a bit. will edit my post. :oops: ). The filter doesn't cut abruptly but rolls off steeply at first but then eventually at around 6dB/octave. The recommended drivers for the cabs all have a rising response in the mid-range so that coupled with the filter gives a good response up to 3.5kHz. The horn design of the cabs AFAIK gives them high sensitivity while being efficient and lightweight. I'm still learning about them though. There is heaps of info on the forum if you wanna learn with me! :D

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue May 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Amp and Bin is win for me,need no other.New Bass and happy with additional effects,....GAS ends ?? bloody hope not !

ps...........having played a Mex and then a US Jazz for well over a decade now, that Japanese P Bass has had the biggest impact on me,wow !!,what a neck on this thing ! its wider but seems so thin,and these "vintage style" frets (tiny fret wire lol,excuse my ignorance but I never even knew about them until now) ,wish the Jazz had the same fret wire.Its also a lot lighter,the body is smaller, but the tone is so,so different to the Jazz( OBVIOUSLY ), and I do like it,a lot ! excuse for post,try out the new camera the Colonel got for mothers day !

JonoSkip

Post by JonoSkip » Wed May 16, 2012 11:29 am

Nice rig Chris. All those pedals :o I have enough trouble with two hands and four strings, let alone getting a foot involved!

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Wed May 16, 2012 12:09 pm

JonoSkip wrote:Nice rig Chris. All those pedals :o I have enough trouble with two hands and four strings, let alone getting a foot involved!
Thanks and that is why I dont/cant play drums,my coordination between brain and feet is non existant ! I use the effects at gigs very sparingly,more for jamming fun.

basshead56
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Otepuni Moonshine
Belial
GOAT
The Hayfields

Post by basshead56 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Went from this:

To this:

Fender Precision X 9 (mostly 70's), Jazz, Jaguar,
MM Stingray, Gibson T-Bird, Dean Cabbie, Dano DC Bass
Ampeg Baby
Koffin Bass
Ampeg SVT-CL,8x10
Ampeg SVT 4PRO, 610
Ampeg PF rig
Ampeg B-100R
Ampeg Micro VR rig (4sale)
Marshall VBA400 & VBC412(x2)

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Sun May 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Choice !!! nice transformation, bet it cranks,I do like the bass collection too. :D

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Sun May 20, 2012 8:55 pm

What model is that in the top picture, on the far right with the single tone/volume control? Looked a little mustang-ish??
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:09 pm

missing A string from '70s necked Precision :)
what's the story there?
Slave to the Rhythm Changes