Using a a guitar amp for Bass?

Thunder Boxes!
ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Re: Using a a guitar amp for Bass?

Post by ryanmaiden » Sat May 24, 2008 4:02 pm

I am pretty sure it has a dummy load as the manual states a cabinet does not need to be connected when this switch is on.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sat May 24, 2008 7:11 pm

In that case, sweet. Just don't expect the exact same tone using the Warwick as a poweramp. In my opinion its the power section of a tube amp that gives them that awesome feel and compression.

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Wed May 28, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi-Watt guitar amps are highly rated and very much used by some leading bass players - great tone and grit I definitely wouldnt be biased against using a guitar amp for bass, in fact if i was playing heavy stuff i would be partial to using one in tandem with a bass rig especially recording with a valve guitar amp for grit a sansamp could only guess at.

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:30 pm

Well, after using the Mesa in a couple of live situations, I've returned it back to the wardrobe for now. The main problem was getting it to sit in the mix properly. The usual story of sounding great on it's own but not too flash with the rest of the group. Since the centre freqs of the EQ knobs are optimised for guitar, I struggled to dial in a comfy spot for the bass to sit.

Being in a group that uses backing tracks for drums and other auxillary instruments, it was a bit too vintage sounding and maybe a bit too natural sounding also. I really have to colour up my tone to sit nicely with all the electronic BS.

So now I'm looking at an MXR M-80, mainly so that I don't have to use the awful preamp section on my Warwick, and so that what I hear on stage is pretty close to what is coming out FOH. Just have to find some spare cash.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:44 pm

If the Mesa is loud enough but doesn't quite cut through live, perhaps try and eq pedal with it.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:02 pm

I did a session this week where I brought in my Marshall ValveState combo to try out some effects overdubs. Pretty happy with some of the overdrive sounds I got, particularly with the Wah.Now it's just got to sit right in the track eh?!