Bill Fitzmaurice Cabinets

Thunder Boxes!
Harley
Gold Member

Re: Bill Fitzmaurice Cabinets

Post by Harley » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:51 pm

Crazykiwi wrote:We've just come through the other side of a BFM building fashion on my forum. .
Well, a reasonably thorough search on 'your forum' showed that BFM cabs were well received there and on other sites like finbass, they seem to be gathering even more momentum as an elect bass cab that delivers great tone, weighs a lot less than others of equal output and are more efficient.

So to say it's a fashion and give the impression it's a passing one is quite inaccurate.

Yes, I am a licensed builder here in NZ and so you could say I am biased, however going completely by what others ( and not me ) have said, you cannot dispute the fact that they are not "just a fashion".

The reason I became a BFM builder in the first place and invested in my set up was that after 35 years of bass playing and the eternal quest for great tone, the first BFM cab I built convinced me I had found what I was looking for.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

BigBoris
Bronze Member

Post by BigBoris » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:14 am

I'm slightly biased as well as I have five BFM cabs. Two OMNI10.5s with melded arrays which I built myself, an OMNI15 which I built myself and two 'plain' OMNI10.5s which I had the then UK authorised builder construct for me.

I've heard enough mature (40+), experienced bass players, like myself, wax lyrical about them to know that they have something unique to offer. The nice thing about them is, you can buy a set of plans from Bill's site for a few dollars and get a preliminary feel for yourself. Bill's plans are extremely readable and highly affordable, whether people then go on to do their own builds is up to them but, at the very worst, they are only going to be down the price of a paperback book.

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:44 pm

What drivers do you have in those cabs as a matter of interest BigBorus?
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

BigBoris
Bronze Member

Post by BigBoris » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:50 am

Harley wrote:What drivers do you have in those cabs as a matter of interest BigBorus?
Hi Harley!

I have two 'vanilla' 10.5's loaded with Eminence Betas, The OMNI15 and melded array 10.5s have Eminence Deltalites.

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:43 am

I built a Omni 10.5 and I am trying to wind myself up to build some more.

Good volume and bass projection for its size, it can't do the impossible but it is very good, quite a few people have commented that the sound initially is a bit different (mid biased) but it is quite hard to be satisfied with mass produced cabinets afterwards.

I used the cheaper Eminence Beta 10 which still makes a lightweight cab. Like Boris I have been around a bit bass playing wise, I can't get too excited by cabs generally and I am not really impressed nice labels but the BFM cabs work well for me.

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 am

Harley wrote:
Crazykiwi wrote:We've just come through the other side of a BFM building fashion on my forum. .
Well, a reasonably thorough search on 'your forum' showed that BFM cabs were well received there and on other sites like finbass, they seem to be gathering even more momentum as an elect bass cab that delivers great tone, weighs a lot less than others of equal output and are more efficient.

So to say it's a fashion and give the impression it's a passing one is quite inaccurate.
Dude I think you took that statement in completely the wrong way. I didn't set out to offend you or Bill Fitzmaurice, it was simply a comment noting that trends of all kinds come and go. We've had plenty of fashions on other things on my forum as well like Shuker basses, EBS amps, DHA effects etc. This stuff happens in communities and that's just how it is.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

portnawake

Post by portnawake » Sat May 30, 2009 10:38 pm

Well... I guess this topic should be bumped up the pile as I'm absolutely stoked with the result.
I don't have millenia of experience with other gear to compare, but it sounds amazingly clear and dynamic and makes playing a good instrument a really gratifying experience. All the nuances in the sound come to live, from deep lows to trebbly zingy stuff, and that's definitely something that would help me become a better player. At least it keeps me playing a lot more.

The whole building experience was really enjoyable, although it took quite a bit of time to reach completion stage.
OmniTop 12 and Titan39 built around a pair of Kappa Pro 12, which are not the optimal drivers.

Beyond
Bronze Member

Post by Beyond » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:58 am

Woah - that looks like a serious set up!

I am running two omni 10.5's now and they are very portable (even with standard Beta's in), in a recent loud gig they projected well but the bass end got a bit lost. This was the case for the other bassplayer using his set up as well so I think it was to do with the acoustics of the building, but sheer chest shaking bass is not what the 10,5's are about. A small tweak on the eq brought it back to form.

I think that your rig looks really serious and I suspect the bottom end is pretty solid to - nicely finished as well from what I can see.

This my more modest stack

Harley
Gold Member

BFM range of cabs to try out

Post by Harley » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:07 pm

FINALLY!

I have got ahead of my orders and have on hand at the moment to demo

2 x Jack 110s ( as single or coupled )
2 x Jack 112s ( as single or coupled )
1 x Omni 10 ( 210 )
1 x Omni 15TB
1 x Omni 15 ( old style without tweeters )
1 x DR280
1 x DR250/T39 subs

That about covers the whole range that are applicable to Elect. bass

Now, I can't have everyone come around home and try these out because I just don't have enough room and the neighb's will get upset.

So if someone in AK can volunteer their place/place of work within the next three weeks, I'll trailer them over on a weekend day. After that they'll be off to customers.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Re: BFM range of cabs to try out

Post by beagle » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:17 pm

Man you've been busy Harley... it was yonks ago we talked about coming over to check these out.
I'm keen but don't have a venue .... anyone else?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

Harley
Gold Member

Re: BFM range of cabs to try out

Post by Harley » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:41 pm

beagle wrote:Man you've been busy Harley... it was yonks ago we talked about coming over to check these out.
I'm keen but don't have a venue .... anyone else?
Well....at a pinch ( and keeping it sane ) you can come around to my place at Mt Wellington :mrgreen:

Let me know in advance, my T39 subs are at the groups HQ