Warwick Sweet 15 Combo - info?

Thunder Boxes!
definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Warwick Sweet 15 Combo - info?

Post by definite » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:52 am

im looking at a warwick sweet 15 combo amp - what do ya reckon, are they any good?
:?:

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:54 pm

When I was in my final year of high school the music teacher said they were looking at a new amp, and were considering this one, wanted to know my opinion (which was spend the money on a similar Fender combo).

My personal opinion of this amp, is that it is probably the worst amp I have ever played. The preamp is just horrible, takes a great bass and turns it to poo.

Luckily, I had a Sansamp bass driver back then and ran that into the FX return bypassing the preamp and it was ok.

Try it though, I know some people love Warwick amps, where as I cant stand even the top models. Nice cabs though.

Cirrus

Post by Cirrus » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:37 pm

I have a Warwick Pro Series combo and every bassist that's played through it or has heard it was impressed. I was going to get a Fender combo until I tried the Warwick. The Fender sounded lifeless afterwards.

However, the Sweet Series are cheap amps made especially for those markets where the proper Warwick models are out of the reach of most. I'd look elsewhere.
99 Peavey Cirrus 4 Walnut Fretless, 98 Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass, 96 Epi El Capitan-4, 99 Warwick W-CL, Johnson J-Station, Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI21 & Acoustic ADI21, Daphon E20CM, E20DS & E20PH, Boss CE-2B & EH-2, other instruments & things

dumptydo

Sweet 15 Warwick

Post by dumptydo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:48 pm

I still have a sweet 15 - Its a lil monster! I use it as a backup amp for myself and muso mates. Small,portable and cuts thru. Ive got an abm ashton 4x10/15 rig and am buying a markbass rig - still love playing the sweet 15 tho. A mate of mine is running a fender precision thru a swr workingmans 300 head and swr 15 cab. My wee 150 watt sweet 15 kicked its ass! My tone was much richer and strangely had quite a bit more oomph!
I say go for it mate - buy one.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:10 pm

hi ya dumptydo... welcome!
You should have a greeze up to nzsimon... he's the markbass importer ;)

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:12 pm

I played a Sweet 15 at a jam once. I guess I needed more time to find its sweet spots as I found it dull and lifeless. The owner liked it.

However, we each have our own ideas of what sounds good and what doesn't - to us.

I'd say have a blast on one and see for yourself, but I wouldn't recommend you buy one without a trial. I also strongly recommend that any trial needs to be a full band trial, 'cos everything sounds fine in the shop or at home.

I trialled a GK MB 150 at home and loved it. Tried it at a gig and it was horrible - it went back. definitely my worst disappointment ever in a bass amp - I so wanted it to be good, but it was poo.