Hi from Napier

Welcome, Introduce yourself! Have any comments or ideas? It's your site, what do you want to see?
pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Hi from Napier

Post by pins » Wed May 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi everybody. :D
My name is Chris and live in sunny Napier.I have been playing Bass in local covers bands for just over 23 odd years now.
I got thrown into playing Bass at the deep end at the ripe age of 23 by 2 flatmates(drummer and guitarist)and just taught myself as best as I could.
Before that I had no inclination to ever play an instrument although for some subliminal reason I enjoyed Bass heavy music.I have little or no ability on any other instrument,and cannot read music other than basic TAB. :oops:

I have been with the drummer and guitarist in our band for 20 years this year,we used to play tons of Pubs and Bars but these days we mainly do weddings,corporate functions and the like.

My main rig is a Sunn 1200s,Fender 4x10 bin and USA Fender Jazz.I also use a Laney RB8 combo for smaller venues.
I have a Mexican Fender Jazz which was my main Bass for many years,a Fender Acoustic Bass and recently scored a beautiful Gretsh Broadkaster from trade me-its wicked.

Will post up some pics of my gear in the rig section soon.
Chris.

john
Gold Member

Re: Hi from Napier

Post by john » Wed May 05, 2010 3:01 pm

Welcome aboard.
Sounds like you have some nice gear, look forward to seeing pics.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Thu May 06, 2010 8:24 am

Hi Chris! 8)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Fyrbyrd
Bronze Member

Post by Fyrbyrd » Sat May 15, 2010 11:35 am

Hi Chris, yeah, another oldtimer.
Tell me, is the Cabana/shakespeare now a venue again? Saw a book on it recently?
cheers

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sun May 16, 2010 9:50 am

Yes its all up and running after a group of 7 locals/muso's,inc Ian Morris and our bands drummer, made it happen once again around a year ago.
It has recently changed management and I hope it continues to offer a great venue for locals and visitors alike.
I have played some "memorable" (just) gigs in there over the years and seen some of NZs finest when it was cranking in the 80's.
It was the first pub I used to "live" at every thurs,fri and sat nights once I could get in around the age of 18,before I even picked up a Bass myself. :lol:

Fyrbyrd
Bronze Member

Post by Fyrbyrd » Sun May 16, 2010 5:48 pm

That's great, played there a few times myself early 90's in the old ska band - people were very friendly and we would go to the small bar next door afterwards - its a bit blurry ...
The book was a really good read.