Hi fellow bassplayers - an introduction

Welcome, Introduce yourself! Have any comments or ideas? It's your site, what do you want to see?
MesaMan
Skype Address: doubleflatwhite
Bands / Groups: Madlight, Fragile, Urban Heat, Suspended Animation, Tackleboxxx.
Most recent and current band is: Lounge Act

Hi fellow bassplayers - an introduction

Post by MesaMan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:52 am

My name is Chris and I'm in Upper Hutt, Wellington. I'm 53 and started learning to play bass guitar when I was at Hutt Valley High School many year ago.
I've played in various covers and hard rock original bands over the years since the mid 1980's. I've just started 'getting back into it' over the last 3 -4 months after having a break over the last couple of years as my time for bass playing has been limited after starting an information management consultancy business in 2006 which has been quite successful.
I currently have a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 string (got new about 4.5 years ago), an ESP Horizon Custom 5 string (got new about 12 years ago and an Ibanez SDGR 4 string new about 18 years ago). I play finger style - I like the sound of using a pick with a fast attack etc but don't feel comfortable using it so have adapted my style - playing near the bridge - when I need to get a tighter 'pick-like' sound. In the past I've also owned a Fender Precision (my first bass in 1981) and a Rickenbacker 4001 (in 1985).

I play through a Mesa Impulse M600 using a 2x12 PowerHouse and 4x10 Powerhouse cabinet. I have a an SWR Bass 350 head through a single SWR 15" and horn cabinet for small practice sessions. For signal processing I use a Boss GT6B and Alesis 3630 compressor. I also have two Aphex foot pedals -an Aphex Bass Exciter and an Aphex Punch Factory (optical compressor) which I'm not currently using.

I mostly listen to hard rock with a focus on the more progressive bands; Dream Theater, Rush that type of thing. I'm looking around to find a covers band I can play in for the pure enjoyment of playing live again.

I'm so pleased I found this forum. I'm looking to improve my playing in whatever way I can.

ChrisE
ChrisE
Mesa Impulse 600, 2x12, 1x15 and 4x10 Powerhouse cabinets, ESP Horizon Custom 5 string, Warwick Limited Edition FNA Jazzman 5 string, Ibanez SDGR 4 string, Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5...and now a Mesa Strategy Eight:88

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Re: Hi fellow bassplayers - an introduction

Post by beagle » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum!
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Hi fellow bassplayers - an introduction

Post by pins » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:42 pm

welcome to the folds of BPNZ :) good luck on the band search too,bass players are a rare breed,unlike all the drummers and guitards that want to get up and play at lots our gigs.Why is there never any bass players ?...why ?