Active vs Passive Pickups

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
Sunjae
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: I have been in 1 band called lawbreaker: www.bebo.com/aaron-jason-chris
But now the band has kinda fallen apart so i am available for other stuff.

Active vs Passive Pickups

Post by Sunjae » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi, I recently found out that active pickups can produce a higher output of sound than passive ones. I also found out that they require external power, a 9V battery. So i ask, where do you put the battery? Do you have to open up the back?
Ibanez SRX300, Ampeg SVT-810E, Kustom Deep End Series 200HD, My custom pedal board and all of my awsome pedals!

Dan

Re: On the subject of active pickups...

Post by Dan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:21 pm

It seems like you have done some study, why did you stop reading before you got to that part? Think about it a bit and I'm sure you'll come up with the answer! Hint, its not the headstock, neck, bridge, pickups, or even the front of the bass. Good luck!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:10 pm

Dan wrote:It seems like you have done some study, why did you stop reading before you got to that part? Think about it a bit and I'm sure you'll come up with the answer! Hint, its not the headstock, neck, bridge, pickups, or even the front of the bass. Good luck!
lol....
My passive pawns most actives with output though

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:11 pm

It is worth noting that while active basses usually have a higher output than passive basses it does not make them better, only different.

I have generally found passive basses to sound less "hyped" and I think they usually work better with overdrive.

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:10 pm

timi wrote:It is worth noting that while active basses usually have a higher output than passive basses it does not make them better, only different.

I have generally found passive basses to sound less "hyped" and I think they usually work better with overdrive.
I agree timi.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:13 pm

what timi said.

active ones sucks. especially for the genre's you've been talking and asking bout. way too sterile. imho
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:13 am

Yeah, I've settled for passives because of reasons mentioned above, my main reason for going passive though is the simplicity of it.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Well while we are on the topic of active pickups Vs Passive etc, I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and mention that Stingrays use passive pickups but contain an active preamp (still uses a battery).
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:46 pm

A lot of "active basses" are actually passive pickups into an active preamp, some of those even give you the option of using it active or passive, such as some G&L basses.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:08 pm

There is lots of options with active pick ups Sunjae
Often they are the first things bassists change on their instrument
why is that?

because (historically) it could be argued that the pick-ups (or more likely) the active pre-amp is where the manufacturer has scrimped on costs.

but on lots of high end equipment the options that well constructed active on-board electronics give is a joy and even a life-saver. The electronics in my Steinberger are IMO second to none, absolutely fantastic and reliable equipment. Is it what I need( or even prefer) for every situation? No, so investigate yourself what works for where and when FOR YOU.

If i was only able to be One Bass Only I would probably have a passive instrument but with optional outboard pre-amps. Off the top of my head Sans-Amp, MXR and Sadowsky all make gear that many many Bass players really like.

So there is no doubt a lot to consider but as per every other topic you have started, you need to try out and go from there.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Sunjae
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: I have been in 1 band called lawbreaker: www.bebo.com/aaron-jason-chris
But now the band has kinda fallen apart so i am available for other stuff.

Post by Sunjae » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:07 pm

ok then.
Ibanez SRX300, Ampeg SVT-810E, Kustom Deep End Series 200HD, My custom pedal board and all of my awsome pedals!

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:52 am

I have both & enjoy both. as timi says - not better or worse, just different. I'm happy using either, although I do prefer passives for my P & J for that authentic Fender sound I love. My J dlx is a nice bass, but its sound is less Fender and more bass generic (if there is such a thing) to my ears.