Reviving / Cleaning Old Bass Strings

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
dannowilso
Bronze Member

Reviving / Cleaning Old Bass Strings

Post by dannowilso » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Hey all,

I am really fussy about having new strings on my 5er, I just love the zing and the fullness of a new string but I get really over paying $60+ for a new set every two weeks and a couple of days ago I had a great idea.

At the hospital where I work we have a decontamination room where medical instruments and the like get cleaned up.
So what I do is put a couple of sets in an ultrasonic cleaner (a bath type thing that vibrates ultrasonically and removes all the dirt etc) for half an hour and then put them in the Washer Disinfector which is pretty much a real grunty dishwasher that super cleans the strings and removes all the grease and sweat and grime etc out of the windings of the strings and it drys them also.

The strings come up like new and I get another couple of weeks out of them which is really great for wallet and so worth the trouble!

I was wondering if other people do this type of cleaning or if any of you guys have a heap of strings you want cleaned for a small price?
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: I can clean your strings really well!

Post by foal30 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:14 pm

next time someone complains to me about the PHS I shall be directing them to to this thread Danno
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:30 pm

I think the flats on my Precision are around 18 years old and I've never cleaned them...
The flats on my Strat are now close to 4 years old.

The sound of new/bright strings on bass or guitar just sets my teeth on edge.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:13 pm

still the original set?
teeth that is :D
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:19 pm

baby teeth? that is odd :D

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:52 am

What is PHS foal30?
I think the flats on my Precision are around 18 years old and I've never cleaned them...
The flats on my Strat are now close to 4 years old
!!!! I don't think i've ever had a set of strings on for 18 days, let alone 18 years. Does it still sound like a guitar?
Doesn't it just sound like you're playing a dead piece of wood with no overtones or sustain and wouldn't the strings be extremely worn by the frets (unless its a fretless P of course).

But I guess if it suits your style its all good aye.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:41 am

john wrote:baby teeth? that is odd :D
:lol: Too funny man.
dannowilso wrote:What is PHS foal30?
Public health service

I think he's concerned what you are doing with his tax dollars!

I like new strings too danno... dead old strings just don't do it for me.... They do hide sloppy technique though :P
But I'm happy with new rounds for a few months... not a couple of weeks.
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:12 am

i've boiled my old ones when in a pinch...works really well...though a bit disconcerting to see the amount of scum that rises to the top! :shock:
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:25 am

model.citizen wrote:i've boiled my old ones when in a pinch...works really well...though a bit disconcerting to see the amount of scum that rises to the top! :shock:
Yeah I did that once too and was shocked to see how much crap came out of them.

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:27 am

foal30 wrote:next time someone complains to me about the PHS I shall be directing them to to this thread Danno
Hey I gotta get some form of a perk from my job.............and I'm just reclaiming my tax dollars

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:31 am

beagle wrote: But I'm happy with new rounds for a few months... not a couple of weeks.
I think I must have gross/sweaty hands or something because my strings die so fast.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:41 pm

dannowilso wrote:Hey all,

I am really fussy about having new strings on my 5er, I just love the zing and the fullness of a new string but I get really over paying $60+ for a new set every two weeks and a couple of days ago I had a great idea.

At the hospital where I work we have a decontamination room where medical instruments and the like get cleaned up.
So what I do is put a couple of sets in an ultrasonic cleaner (a bath type thing that vibrates ultrasonically and removes all the dirt etc) for half an hour and then put them in the Washer Disinfector which is pretty much a real grunty dishwasher that super cleans the strings and removes all the grease and sweat and grime etc out of the windings of the strings and it drys them also.

The strings come up like new and I get another couple of weeks out of them which is really great for wallet and so worth the trouble!

I was wondering if other people do this type of cleaning or if any of you guys have a heap of strings you want cleaned for a small price?
Interesting .
Does cleaning it this method get the strings very hot?
I used to boil stings and am sure the heating of them weakened the stings, I used to break strings quite often, now that I don't boil them I never break strings .
I sometimes soak the strings in meths , Does a pretty good job at bringing the zing back

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:09 pm

i let a set last a few months too if i can, most important for me is making sure i give my hands a good wash just before playing (or even touching my bass) handling all the beer and dirt caked cables during setting up leaves my paws in a stcky mess so its off to the bathroom for a pre-op scrub.

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:27 pm

I boiled a set of strings once, and had 2 of them break on the first gig after doing it. Haven't worried about it since.

I find that strings die quite quickly on my Fenders, so I change them quite often. My Yamaha is crazy though, strings seem to sound new for aaaages.....current set have probably been on since December (which is a hell of a long time for me).

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Post by dannowilso » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Yeah they do get pretty hot when I do it, but never broken a string in my life and I play rock/hard rock/punk and really did into them at some stages and I use 3mm big stubby picks too!

Even if they do get hot (about 120 degrees) it shouldn't effect the metal aye. The first stage of heat treatment in steel doesn't start untill about 300-500 degrees (im an engineer).