I just lost my snob card...

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
T-Dub
Gold Member

I just lost my snob card...

Post by T-Dub » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:17 pm

Wow.

So I recently bought a lovely USA Fender Precision locally. The guy had replaced the pickups and had put some Seymour Duncans in.

I loved the tone I got, growly as hell, excellent.
He said the pickups were spb-1's, and I thought cool, they sound great.
SPB-1's are meant to be vintage voiced of course. I got it home, and I thought about getting this P to be the best it can be, so I swapped out the pickguard for a black one (the bass in Candy Apple Red, so good with black!) and swapped the NP4's out of my Warwick and stuck them in the P Bass.

I took it to practice and though it sounded excellent, the grind that had caught my ear was missing.

So today I decided to change it back to how they were originally, the NP4 in the Warwick, and the Seymour Duncan in the Precision. When I was changing it over, I read the product code on the back of the SD's which read "SPB-3"; these were Quarter Pounders!

I had avoided them like the plague until now, and I felt kinda blow away. NP4's sound excellent of course I was stunned how much I loved the Quarter Pounders! They're two very different tones which I'm really pleased with. Not too surprised though as I quite like more modern tones but hate active electronics.

So I've had to hand in my snob card, overall I like the Quarter Pounders more than the NP4's!

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: I just lost my snob card...

Post by pins » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:33 pm

Sometimes we must all eat our words when it comes to such things, :D ,so did you try the Warwick with the Quarter Pounders in the first swap ?

T-Dub
Gold Member

Post by T-Dub » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:07 am

Yeah, the Warwick is the King with them in.
I'm happy either way, both pickups sound fantastic to to me, just different.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:57 pm

Quater Pounders are cool in a P Bass. Even though they sound fatter and more modern than most other pickups, it still sounds like a P Bass.

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:58 pm

I put the quarter pounders in my spare parts P bass, and I've never looked back. They sound choice with flats as well.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

irvinz
Gold Member

Post by irvinz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:02 pm

nice stuff tony. quarter pounds is what i have in my spare pickup box :) the go to pickups if my antiquities are not at hand!
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com