Flats

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Flats

Post by Fenderfan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:28 pm

Can someone - or multiple people please explain 'flats' to me? Differences, benefits, cons, etc etc. I read in a post they take some of your sound away but also take away that nasty 'finger slide' noise etc? Are they suited to more jazz oriented bass or also good with good ol' dirty rock too? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to get up to play and thought I'd take advantage of all the knowledge on this forum :wink:
Cheers guys/gals, Tim.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Re: Flats

Post by ryanmaiden » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Hey Tim,

Flats pretty much do what you describe. You don't get all that string noise when you slide your fingers around, and you loose a fair bit to pretty much all of the top end zing. I've got flats on my P Bass, which is a pretty stock combo.

I find it gives you a big strong fundamental and not much else. I really like the sound of them when playing with a pick, as you get the added attack from the pick coming through, but the low end is still there and not overwhelmed by all the high-end harmonics you can get using a pick.

I find they work really well when you're in a band with more than 1 guitarist or there's a lot of other instruments that you have to compete with, as the notes you're producing have most of their power in low down areas where most other instruments can't reach, so you don't get swamped by 2 hairy guitarists turning up their stacks all night.

You probably wouldn't want flats for funk or other genres where the 'zing' is reasonably important, like when you're slapping etc. But they're great for rock and I've found them really good for oontz oontz dance music too.

There's a few posts on here about flats, I think I may have started one, so there's plenty of good reading to be had.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Recently put flats on an old '60s Tiesco I have, was expecting them to be much duller but they were still quite bright.

Had a really hard time finding flats in Wellington, ended hesitantly purchasing Daddarios which could explain the brightness. Been two months now and they have dulled a bit, can't wait to for them to really dull down in a year or three!

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Cool, cheers for that guys, i might have to give them a go next string change. They are hard to find? Alot of posts speak of ordering them in specifically? Or maybe that is just a certain brand/type.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:41 pm

D'Addario Chromes = Dave Cheesboy/ Guitarstuff.co.nz

they also supply Ernie Ball, just a different wrapper

La'bella - pain in the ass to get in NZ
so go to OZBass GearDirect , George stocks Sadowsky which are LaBellas
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Dave also got me in my last set of TI Jazz Flats.

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

i think Chi Chen from the Deftones used to play fingerstyle, flats, P-bass...he managed to get a monumental tone, it's often all in the way you approach playing.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:50 pm

I've only tried flats once and that was the Ernie Balls... not the TI's.
The sound was a lot duller than rounds which didn't bother me too much but it was the increased string tension that put me off.
Comes down to personal taste
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:48 pm

TIs are much more supple and lower tension than all other brands.
Incidentally, didja know that Fender, Dean Markley and R.Cocco strings are all made by LaBella? To my knowledge, the only string winders in the US are D'addario, GHS, LaBella, Dunlop, DR and Ernie Ball. All other brands, including the boutique brands, are wound by one of these. The exceptions are Dunlop and DR, who wont wind other peoples strings.

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:14 pm

alot (all?) of Carvin and LaBella strings are one-and-the-same, just different packaging.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Fenderfan wrote:...take some of your sound away...
It's not "taken away", it's just a different tone - like the difference between Humbuckers and Single coils.

http://www.daddario.com/upload/BassStri ... 2_1806.pdf

Very helpful. I like halfrounds and flatwounds myself.
A-boom boom boom boom!

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:49 pm

I had my MIA Jazz returned this morning with a new set of flats and reset action etc,tried it at lunch and hey it feels kinda weird but good i have to say ! As this is my first experiment with flats on any bass in 15-20 years its too early to decide if i like em or not.

I was comparing it to my newly acquired squire P bass( which i am beginning a love affair with i might add,cant keep off it !) and the jazz sounded pretty darn good,but more so felt really nice to play.Best it has ever felt in the 3-4 years i have owned it.-thats a result !
And shock,even the missus said "that bass sounds best" pointing to the jazz,that put a grin on my mush :)

Cant wait to try the flats out at a jam tonight ( jam = more of an excuse to get on the turps and play a whole heap of nonsense really really fcukin loud ) to really see what i think through the genz benz rig.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:10 pm

I like your approach to a jam :lol:

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:15 pm

sonicfantom wrote:
Fenderfan wrote:...take some of your sound away...
It's not "taken away", it's just a different tone - like the difference between Humbuckers and Single coils.

http://www.daddario.com/upload/BassStri ... 2_1806.pdf

Very helpful. I like halfrounds and flatwounds myself.
Cheers sonicfantom, that link was rather helpful. Might have to get some flats to give them a go sooner rather than later....

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Whatever brand of flats you get, be aware that they almost all sound quite bright at first, but will settle down after a few weeks. I've had my TI Jazz Flats for I dunno, somewhere between 10 and 12 years now. I see no reason they wont go another 10 years. I have a spare set, but that's really in case of breakages, although I have yet to break a bass guitar string in um... er... about 30 years of playing. :lol: