Flats

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Flats

Post by pins » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:31 pm

The wheel's come off but Im home,lucky this text doesn't slur !

My first real experience with flats - first off I noticed the increased tension immediately,sh*t i thought i had fencing wire strung on there.
But zipping around the neck (1st 5 frets in my case) was a breeze,i could slide from low a f to g with such drunken ease .
And with my raspy old burnt out mechanic finger tips the strings felt like butter (i hate margarine) and the callouses didn't get hooked up in a string winding for a change .
And when i spilt piss all over the strings it was easier to wipe off too ,thats gotta be a bonus ! :lol:

Seriously i really enjoyed playing with flats,dunno if i am converted yet but certainly a different feel and sound,i could get quite used to,and really stoked i put them on now. 8)

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:57 am

If you find your flats too high tension for comfort, try TIs.
As Marty said "TIs are much more supple and lower tension than all other brands." and he's right.

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:01 pm

martyforrer wrote: ...I have yet to break a bass guitar string in um... er... about 30 years of playing...
Is it actually possible? You could probably hang someone with bass strings and not worry too much about them falling to the ground (don't get all suspicious, I haven't tried this... yet...) On the other hand, I think the bridge break-angle on string-through basses might play havoc with heavier gauges and flats.
A-boom boom boom boom!

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:39 pm

martyforrer wrote:..although I have yet to break a bass guitar string in um... er... about 30 years of playing. :lol:
Make that 38 years for me :mrgreen:
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:54 pm

I have broken heaps of strings.
But it was when I used to boil them...Have not broken one since I stopped, iirc