Chromes vs TI Flats

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Chromes vs TI Flats

Post by pins » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Cheers for the heads up on the truss rod guys,looks like I need a capo and some other stuff to do some measuring ?

Antz
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: GENERATOR covers band

Post by Antz » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Not to call myself a rough bastard but for that "capo" thingy I used a pair of rubber finger vice grips and my feeler gauges :roll: :oops:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:04 pm

pins wrote:my TI Flats arrived friday,yay...although I was in 2 minds about fitting them as I had a gig that night.

anyway I fitted up the E to the P and remembered how sticky feeling new flats can be and the gauge is a lot lighter than I have ever used .100, .070 , .056 and .043.
then I chickened out and refitted the .105 chrome, but after a few more beers etc and an hour to go,I couldn't resist the temptation and fitted the TI's and headed off to the gig,untried....and using the Sunn amp for the first time in a while as opposed to the Shuttle.I was asking for trouble....

Within half an hour I managed to dial in a tone I was pretty stoked with,complete with a thumbs up from the band as well.
I have to say these strings are pretty dam awesome in feel and can only improve once the stickiness wears off.
I did suffer from a fair bit of fret buzz when digging in but yesterday I raised the action,a little more than I'm used to, but the less amount of tension makes up for this to a degree.

It will also take a while to adjust to the lighter gauge,particularly the .070 A is quite a bit smaller the the .085 I'm used to,and they even look noticeably thinner on the bass,like guitard strings,but the tone and feel from these strings is huge improvement from the chrome's for me.
A happy camper,so no new TI's for you marty :wink:
So how are you liking the ti flats after two months

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:20 pm

love them to bits john,really should have tried some of these when I first ventured down the flats path.
Expensive,but like anything,you get what you pay for and well worth the investment,love my bass more than ever.
trouble is I want to string all my basses with these now....$$$$

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Depends how much you play and how much chicken grease is on your hands but I think 2-3 months for them to come right. The TIs on my Tiesco are about 18 months old and sound fantastic, the ones on my Jazz are only a month old and don't sound right yet.

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:47 am

pins wrote:love them to bits john,really should have tried some of these when I first ventured down the flats path.
Expensive,but like anything,you get what you pay for and well worth the investment,love my bass more than ever.
trouble is I want to string all my basses with these now....$$$$
That's great. The initial cost maybe expensive, But if you have them on for years it works out pretty cheap.

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:04 pm

I actually found the TI flats to be the least "sticky" feeling flats i have tried,they felt pretty nice from the start and are only getting better.
The main difference is I run tone and volume full again on the bass whereas the chromes always needed the tone wound back off full and lots of tweaking done at the amp.

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:18 pm

I almost bought some flats last weekend, have been curious and very tempted. This makes me want some TI's after all I've heard/read. Worth getting them over say chromes or other flats? Haven't played a bass with them before so hopefully they are just what I'm after for my jazz.....
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:28 am

Fenderfan wrote:I almost bought some flats last weekend, have been curious and very tempted. This makes me want some TI's after all I've heard/read. Worth getting them over say chromes or other flats? Haven't played a bass with them before so hopefully they are just what I'm after for my jazz.....
If you get them, and decide you dont like them (some people dont) I'll maybe buy them off you.

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Yep,and if Marty doesn't want them,I'll buy them. Or maybe we could place a bulk order ! I know I want another set.

Antz
Silver Member

Post by Antz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:15 pm

pins wrote:Yep,and if Marty doesn't want them,I'll buy them. Or maybe we could place a bulk order ! I know I want another set.

count me in !! i want to try some GHS Precision Flats Flatwound strings but i do like my D'Addario Chromes

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:45 pm

Anyone interested I am placing an order soon to get some more TI jazz flats,you can piggy back my freight if you wish,getting a set for my Squier CV Jazz.
I can get most brands and types of strings,just do your sums first and make sure they are not around here for less,let me know if your interested.

Antz
Silver Member

Post by Antz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:20 pm

see as above :D :D

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:25 pm

$$$??? What' s the damage gonna be?
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:06 am

PM sent 8)