Chromes vs TI Flats

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
john
Gold Member

Chromes vs TI Flats

Post by john » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:30 pm

So I recorded these strings to see which I wanted to use on my (p) bass and I am going with the Ti's. :D
If I was in a reggae or dub band I would go the Chromes though. As you can hear the ti's have a lot more going on in the upper mids, a bit more versatile.

Though my amp, bit to much bass boost sorry;

https://soundcloud.com/preop-1/chromes-ti-flats-ampped

Direct (no EQ etc);

https://soundcloud.com/preop-1/chromes-vs-ti-flats

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Re: Chromes vs TI Flats

Post by pins » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Ha I see..... cool john,glad I got the Ti's on the way,you knew what i was thinking ,only i jumped the gun.... :lol: well done.
i have really only used chrome flats on my P so its a perfect comparison for me,bring on the courier !

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Well I am glad you are not regretting buying them after the sound samples.

joppo

Post by joppo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:09 pm

I really like TI Flats - fantastic tone and feel. At the moment I'm trying a set of Sadowsky flats on my fretless jazz. They are really similar sounding to the TIs but have a little more tension. I had to order them from the US because I couldn't find any here, but I am really loving them

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:54 am

Nice, you could do a ti vs Sadowsky flats sample :)

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:45 am

My TIs are about 12 or 13 years old, have been swapped onto all the basses I have gone through in that time, and consequently are getting a bit ragged on the winding end. I guess I'll have to reluctantly replace them soon before they break on a gig, which is a shame because they are sounding so good now. My 1982 Ibanez Musician MC924 is a keeper, so I wont have to swap them out any more. The combination of the bass, the strings and my GB Streamliner amp is the best, fattest sound Ive had in my life.

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Sadowsky strings are LaBella
Rock Shop used to have Labella

Gorgeous George on Ozbass.com does send to NZ for Sadowsky strings
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Bass Gear Direct!
their ad is often on this site .

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:11 pm

my TI Flats arrived friday,yay...although I was in 2 minds about fitting them as I had a gig that night.

anyway I fitted up the E to the P and remembered how sticky feeling new flats can be and the gauge is a lot lighter than I have ever used .100, .070 , .056 and .043.
then I chickened out and refitted the .105 chrome, but after a few more beers etc and an hour to go,I couldn't resist the temptation and fitted the TI's and headed off to the gig,untried....and using the Sunn amp for the first time in a while as opposed to the Shuttle.I was asking for trouble....

Within half an hour I managed to dial in a tone I was pretty stoked with,complete with a thumbs up from the band as well.
I have to say these strings are pretty dam awesome in feel and can only improve once the stickiness wears off.
I did suffer from a fair bit of fret buzz when digging in but yesterday I raised the action,a little more than I'm used to, but the less amount of tension makes up for this to a degree.

It will also take a while to adjust to the lighter gauge,particularly the .070 A is quite a bit smaller the the .085 I'm used to,and they even look noticeably thinner on the bass,like guitard strings,but the tone and feel from these strings is huge improvement from the chrome's for me.
A happy camper,so no new TI's for you marty :wink:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:01 pm

awesome. Yeah I had to put a bit more relief on my neck when I put the TIs on my bass. They are quite dynamic strings for flats eh. which bass did you put them on?

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:32 pm

I put them on the P bass which I use 99% of the time these days,which did have worn in chrome flats,but I like the TI's better already...I do like how they growl and bark easily when digging in,well suited to the P.
Been noodling away all day through the shuttle and the 15' cab in the lounge,with online drum tracks pumping through the stereo as its total crap outside,much to the families annoyance :lol: ...and the more I play the more I dig the new flats.

oh and john,I just raised the bridge saddles... :oops: I have never touched a truss rod in my life :oops: sad really :lol:

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Don't be afraid of the truss rod. Check out a few on line tutorials and you are away. Everyone should able to set up your own bass IMO

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Post by Fenderfan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Hey Pins, I got the 'Fender Bass Manual' by Haynes ( yep the same as the car manuals at repco) and it taught me how to do setups, truss rods, pickup settings, bridge adjustments etc etc... The whole shebang. Personally I found it to be a must have for anyone wanting to get to know their Fender Bass better. Plus, what luthier / music shop is going to setup YOUR bass to YOUR preferences better than you will once you know how?
Just my 2c.
Tim.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:46 pm

Fenderfan wrote: what luthier / music shop is going to setup YOUR bass to YOUR preferences better than you will once you know how?
A massive +1

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:49 am

trust me, I know what I'm doing.