Chromes vs TI Flats

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Re: Chromes vs TI Flats

Post by Fenderfan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Replied.
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Fenderfan wrote:Replied.
Cool,so thats one extra set,and did you ever get those inlay stickers I gave you slapped on ?

Anyone else keen :?:
Im not looking to make any money,only offering to save peeps some freight and a charge on their own credit card,that is all.
I am dealing with jason at bassstringsonline.com,so check out the site to see what's available and how much it will set you back.Use a currency converter for an idea of $NZ.
I am eligible for the VIP pricing which is an extra wee saving off the site price.
No prices will be posted here publicly,pm me.I hope to order this week so move your butts if you want in :D

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:52 pm

Yeah I did get them on, looks pretty cool. I've got it apart at the mo, did a thorough shielding job on the jazz, and replaced all the pots with USA Fender parts. Got the last of the soldering to do then I'll take a pic and post it up. Some TI flats will round it off nicely I hope!
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:01 am

Fenderfan.... TIs are perfect for a Jazz bass. When you shielded (excuse me asking, I dont know your level of expertise) did you do the pup routs and connect them to the cavity? And ensure the whole lot is earthed to the output socket and all the pots. There is no such thing as too much earthing on a Jazz. I also solder all the seams in the copper shielding and solder wires to the copper in the pup routs and connect them to the cavity.

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:06 am

Pins... I'll go a new G string. When I put my old TIs on my new P bass and remembered I had cut the G for a 2+2 headstock, so now Ive got a knot in my G string, and it seems to work, but with my luck it will come apart at a gig!
If any one is interested, I've got a TI low B string in perfect condition for sale. I'll probably never play 5 strings again, so no need to keep it. PM me.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.

Post by pins » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:11 pm

A knot in your G string marty ? the mind boggles. :shock:
Sweet I will order a new G string for you.Keep you posted.

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:31 pm

You've got a grubby mind..... I like that in a bassplayer! :mrgreen:

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Marty, yes, yes , and yes! Hopefully I've successfully done it all right.... The tutorial I watched on shielding had the pup rout done, but not connected.... I just thought that it didn't make sense, so wired everything up. I'm just to solder the earth and pup wiring to the mounted pots, gonna get my cousin to do it, he's a hell of a lot tidier than I am with a soldering iron. He'll probably pick apart mine and redo it. I guess an area when OCD comes in handy!

martyforrer
Gold Member

Post by martyforrer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:54 pm

Cool.

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:27 pm

Update-Just waiting on a couple peeps to make their minds up before I place the order.
Will let you know when the order is placed which I hope to do this weekend,no money up front is required.

Fenderfan
Silver Member

Post by Fenderfan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:59 pm

Cool cool. Let me know where and when for $$$.

Tim1
Gold Member

Post by Tim1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:22 pm

After advocating TI flats for years, I put a set of DR Stainless rounds on the 68 Jazz last week and must admit I am really enjoying the extra bark they are giving me - plus the TIs aren't too high a tension for stainless. Left the TIs on the Precision, too much vibe there to risk a change. The Sadowsky arrived with Sadowsky stainless rounds on them which seem quite a nice string - medium tension and punchy at the exremes. No doubt the TIs will go back on the jazz at some stage, but for the moment I am enjoying a change. Such fun being a bass player and chasing different tones :)

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Tim1 wrote:After advocating TI flats for years, I put a set of DR Stainless rounds on the 68 Jazz last week and must admit I am really enjoying the extra bark they are giving me - plus the TIs aren't too high a tension for stainless. Left the TIs on the Precision, too much vibe there to risk a change. The Sadowsky arrived with Sadowsky stainless rounds on them which seem quite a nice string - medium tension and punchy at the exremes. No doubt the TIs will go back on the jazz at some stage, but for the moment I am enjoying a change. Such fun being a bass player and chasing different tones :)
I think the only answer is to have two of every bass, one with rounds the other with flats

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Tim1 wrote:but for the moment I am enjoying a change. Such fun being a bass player and chasing different tones :)

YES !
john wrote:I think the only answer is to have two of every bass, one with rounds the other with flats
YES !

:D

pins
Gold Member

Post by pins » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:46 pm

Ordered all the strings Monday guys but just had an email saying "one or more of the products you purchased is not ready to ship at this time" :( oh well these things happen.
I will let you know when the order is shipped for those waiting.
pins.