Bass guitar mod

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
mickeyj4j
Bronze Member

Bass guitar mod

Post by mickeyj4j » Mon May 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Hi all I have an Aria 5 String active bass.
I was thinking of adding in a push-pull volume pot so it will run passive if the battery goes flat.
1. Is this a good idea to have done?
2. Will the passive circuit still have a tone built in?
3. How should I do it. Any diagrams etc to follow or should I take this to local guitar man to get done.
4. I notice the original pots are 250k. Mostly I can find 350k or 500k pots. Any 250k seem rare or uncommon. what can I do.

irvinz
Gold Member

Re: Bass guitar mod

Post by irvinz » Tue May 17, 2016 12:03 am

1. Great IDEA!
2. it wont have a tone knob unless you add one
4. most pots would be 250, 500 and 1000, not too many 350k pots floating around guitar stores.

3. how you do it will depend on how your preamp is currently wired. and which part of the circuit you would want to do it in. ideally you would want to cut it after the volume knob if its 'pre' preamp. that way you atleast have control over volume in a passive setup. would depend on how your preamp is already wired up.

another alternative... change batteries once a year! that said, my g&l has been around for a couple of years now, and i have yet to change the battery (which probably means i should do it soon incase of leaks etc)
ex- Music Planet Queen Street Resident Bass expert wannabe

now residing at vinzmusic.com

mickeyj4j
Bronze Member

Re: Bass guitar mod

Post by mickeyj4j » Thu May 19, 2016 7:45 pm

irvinz wrote:another alternative... change batteries once a year! that said, my g&l has been around for a couple of years now, and i have yet to change the battery (which probably means i should do it soon incase of leaks etc)
What batteries do you use I normally get
Energizer max (3 pack), energizer ultimate, energizer advance. These all last a good while. It's a shame more bass guitars don't come with better built-in internal batteries when there are some good option already available. And new ones to be developed.