WIRELESS SYSTEMS

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

WIRELESS SYSTEMS

Post by definite » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:29 am

Anyone using wireless systems (between gat and amp)?

Any recommendations, etc would be great!

timi
Gold Member

Re: WIRELESS SYSTEMS

Post by timi » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Used to, then realized I looked like a cock. I was using an old Nady unit that I borrowed, which are meant to be way better than the newer Nady's.

Both the guys in my flatmates band have AKG systems that they both no longer use, but wihch are really good units. They are currently saving to get over to the US, so if you want I could ask if either of them would consider selling one. I believe both are the dual diversity units which are about $600 new each.

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:10 pm

I used to use one as well, till I had the same realisation as timi. I had a shure true diversity system, the only downside was it had a fixed frequency so I couldn't change it if I had interference. I remember one particular gig where I had vocals coming through my guitar amp from the chick singing at the pub across the road, not cool!!

The classsic thing with them is the average joe thinks you are just pretending to play since they can't see a lead. I had my fair share of drunken morons come up and whack my guitar strings, only to be shocked when they heard a god awful thud come through my amp. Idiots.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

Modo74
Bronze Member

Post by Modo74 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:15 am

Same as the previous two replys. Wireless is not really necessary unless you're going to crowd surf whilst still playing. :lol:

A nice long lead is all thats needed. Every time.

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:45 am

yeah i get the message lol :)
i was in a new position the other day though - played an outdoor festival on a big stage and the (supplied) amp was right at the back beside the kit as per (it seemed like miles away!). im the front person/ vocalist of the band as well as bassist so i can't hang out back by the amp (like the next bands bassist was able to) and also run a few pedals which i need near me, so it suddenly occured to me just how useful and easy a wireless system would have been in that situation!!!

Im also a player that likes to move around alot so yeah, 'pretentious 80's hairband rockstar image' issues aside, how good and practical (not to mention affordable) is a good wireless system?

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:21 pm

If you are playing really big stages and move around a lot they are useful, or at the other extreme a really small stage where you move around a lot and don't want to get tangled up.

Its the kind of thing you buy, use a few times, then go back to a cable.

ryanmaiden
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: The Crush

Post by ryanmaiden » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:24 pm

They are really great when they are working properly, the things to look for from my experiences are:
True diversity - so you don't get drop out if you are running around lots.
Multiple frequency settings - in case you are playing with somebody else using a wireless system on the same frequency, or to get rid of interference.
A battery low indicator on the transmitter - an absolute show saver.
The good that men do is often buried with their bones, but the evil that men do lives on and on.

timi
Gold Member

Post by timi » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:45 am

Oh yeah, battery life....
The old one I was borrowing chews though a 9v battery in about 3 hours, but some of the newer ones get 10+ hours of a single AA.

nzsimon
Silver Member

Post by nzsimon » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:49 pm

ryanmaiden wrote:They are really great when they are working properly, the things to look for from my experiences are:
True diversity - so you don't get drop out if you are running around lots.
Multiple frequency settings - in case you are playing with somebody else using a wireless system on the same frequency, or to get rid of interference.
A battery low indicator on the transmitter - an absolute show saver.
True Diversity is a marketing term it either is Diversity or it isn't there is no such thing as pretend or fake diversity :-)
believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see J.R.R Tolkien
Director of Jansen http://www.jansen.co.nz

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:08 am

timi wrote: I was using an old Nady unit that I borrowed, which are meant to be way better than the newer Nady's.
Yeah I can vouch for that
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

nzsimon
Silver Member

Post by nzsimon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:28 pm

Forum special in Sponsor section

Just make sure you are aware of the frequency range of the wireless or you could find massive differences in tone between a wireless and a lead ours go down to 50hz some of the really cheap ones well who knows...
believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see J.R.R Tolkien
Director of Jansen http://www.jansen.co.nz

Urmike04
Bronze Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/mbillings
Bands / Groups: Nervous Existence www.myspace.com/nervousexistence

Post by Urmike04 » Tue May 13, 2008 3:38 pm

I love having wireless. I have a Nady silver series system, and so far, I havn't had any problems with it. I love to move around on stage and headbang alot. But, I do carry a cable with me if I do ever have a problem. I also agree with most of you about making sure you have a good system.
Ampeg B2R 350w Head
Fender RT-1000 Tuner
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
Ampeg B Series 4x10 Cab

5 string Lyon Washburn (Black)
5 string Davison (Red)
4 string BC Rich Warlock Platnium Series (Red flames)

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:03 pm

I'd love to have a premo wireless, just fir the option, (have to have the low HZ) our piano/sax player is always on the opposite side of stage and it would be cool to sit in or just have the option - i do get a bit phobic about the more stuff you have the more distracting things can be but in the meantime I'll have a wireless, a envelope generator, a big muff, a markbass, a bogdon box, a 18th century italian upright, a fodera emperor 6 string, pro-tools, olympus linear handheld recorder, private tuition, rackmount strobe tuner, dedicated roadie ...... :wink:

frenchbass
Bronze Member

Post by frenchbass » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:09 pm

I love having the freedom of wireless, but the hassle of batteries and tone is what puts me off.

I bought a cheap JTS wireless system off TM last yeah, and was absolutly stoked with it...for about 5 minutes. I did look at the frequency range before i bought, however the problem is whenever i play my B, the reciever peaks like a MO-FO, and although the frequency range looked sweet, it doesnt sound it.

I move around a lot on stage, as does the rest of my band. Our 2 guitarists went wireless just before I did with AKG systems, and I have to say I LOVE not having to worry about getting all tangled up in leads, and trying to untangle in a hurry between songs. From my experience I think this JTS is truely a guitar only kit, as i basically loose all my balls when i use it...but it's just so much fun.

Havent had the oppertunity to use a decent wireless kit...however I'm scared that if i did, I'd probably have to get a loan to finance my impulses..... :shock:
Fender Aerodyne 2012
Gibson SG Special 1989
Fender Contemporary Telecaster 1986
Orange 4x12
Mesa Single Rect-o-verb 50.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:58 am

hmm... yeah I think it's the sort of thing you'd need to do homework on before buying and to be prepared to shell out for good quality. Agree that battery thing is the biggest pain but I can't see that ever changing ;-)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz