What strings do you play?

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
john
Gold Member

Re: What strings do you play?

Post by john » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Mal at Weta talked me into buying some olympia strings. I was very suspicious and almost didn't buy them, because they where $30 .
But four months later and two basses strung with then now, I am very happy with them

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:59 pm

ive finished my experimenting now and i'll stick with DR lowriders SS - ive liked rotosound swingbass 66 but agree the quality lately turned me off however i will give them another go in future. The drs feel good under my fingers very even and good tension i use an active 5 string and these strings go well with it - do test a few brands , it took me 2 or 3 years to zone in on what i liked after falling out of love with rotosounds.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Post by beagle » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:10 pm

john wrote:Mal at Weta talked me into buying some olympia strings. I was very suspicious and almost didn't buy them, because they where $30 .
But four months later and two basses strung with then now, I am very happy with them
Are these flats or roundwounds?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

john
Gold Member

Post by john » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:18 pm

beagle wrote:
john wrote:Mal at Weta talked me into buying some olympia strings. I was very suspicious and almost didn't buy them, because they where $30 .
Are these flats or roundwounds?
Rounds...I have kind of gone of the tapes a bit. Rounds suit the ban I am in better. I have put the tapes on a fretted now an rounds on the fretless

fallingleaf
Bands / Groups: Thran - covers band, previously in 'the New Freedom', studio work

Post by fallingleaf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:18 am

If anyone else happens to play a Pedulla thunderbass or the like - what strings and gauge do you use? Mine came with some Victor Wooten Foderas which were great although quite a light gauge so I ened up with a similar tone to him which was pretty cool. Great for soloing but when it came to laying down a line i lost some bottom end I felt. So i reverted to me tried and tru D'Addario 125,100,80,65,45 (the pinkish pack). Seems fine and similar to gauge in what pedulla put on them in the factory - but I wonder if there is something better?
Pedulla ETB5 Thunderbass w/zebra wood, Marcus Miller sig Fender Jazz, SWR Goliath 4x10 w/750x head...and a whole lota funk

ryla
Gold Member

Post by ryla » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:07 am

i use DR lowriders on my thunderbass, have tried elixer dadd xl and pro steels, ernie balls, ken smiths and pedulla, also fatbeams - low riders are nice for me.

fallingleaf
Bands / Groups: Thran - covers band, previously in 'the New Freedom', studio work

Post by fallingleaf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:09 pm

DR's have a lot of tone I have used them on a fender jazz but dam they are expensive aye!!
Pedulla ETB5 Thunderbass w/zebra wood, Marcus Miller sig Fender Jazz, SWR Goliath 4x10 w/750x head...and a whole lota funk

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:58 pm

foal30 wrote:D'Addario Pro Steels are very bright, but I do not think they retain it like the Bootsy's.
but there are so many variables I think it's try, try and try again.
I usually string with D'Addario strings on everything I own - I've had good experiences with these strings, never had any bad ones, so why change?

Tried a couple of other brands, but I gave up searching when I realized I kept going back to D'Addario.

Their EXP Nickel Roundwounds last practically forever (since we're talking about strings, that's a couple of months). My Jazz is strung with Halfwounds at the moment, but it's normally a set of 45-105 EXP's. It'd be nice if these had a slightly heavier E string (.110 would be awesome), but I can't complain.

I normally use these for about 3 months before I change them.

For the ultimate in string life, you can't beat flats, though that's right up there on the mellow-o-meter (Brightness? What brightness?).
A-boom boom boom boom!

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:18 pm

sonic ask Dave (cheeseboy777 on TM)
for odd D'Addario gauges... he's sorting my fussy self out at the mo
guitarstuffnz
top bloke
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:51 pm

I am truly terrible when it comes to buying strings,although I do replace them often.(Brightness lover)

I honestly would not be able to tell you the brand or gauge size of any of the strings on any of my 5 Bass guitars :oops:
All rounds I do know that. :lol:
All I do is go buy whatever they have in a heavyish gauge,see - a terrible attitude !

All I do know is once I lashed out $75 and scored some Dean Markley ? Blue Steels (I think was the name) and all I know is they lasted the longest and sounded the brightest of any string before and since then.
Never bought another set though because I have never seen them in my local store. :(

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:50 pm

sonicfantom wrote:I usually string with D'Addario strings on everything I own - I've had good experiences with these strings, never had any bad ones, so why change?

Tried a couple of other brands, but I gave up searching when I realized I kept going back to D'Addario.
Same here. I buy my strings in lots of 4 from http://www.juststrings.com. They work out between 5/8 to 1/3 what you pay here retail plus most my basses require extra long strings for 35" scale.

In fact I get my strings quicker from these guys than if I go to a local store, and they do not have them in stock and promise to get them in for me.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

goatboy
Bronze Member

Post by goatboy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Yep, old thread but on the subject of strings and a mention of "Elixir", where the hell do you buy these in NZ? I had a stock set on an Ibanez bass I bought years ago and they lasted about 2 years before they got noticeably tarnished and dull. Ever since then I've been looking for them but every music shop I've been into either says "We don't have them in stock but I can get them for you in a couple of weeks when the supplier...blah, blah...." or "We don't have them but we have <insert name of inferior Elixir nanoweb knock off here> and they're just as good..."

Finally got fed up and ordered a set of long scale 45-100's from the US and it's only cost me NZ$64 so far (might end up being about $10 more if NZ Customs decide to GST'erise it). But I don't want to have to go through this exercise every 12 months if I can avoid it.

Heaps of Elixir guitar strings around, but zero bass. Is it that they last so long that music shops don't want to stock them perhaps?

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:56 pm

goatboy wrote:more if NZ Customs decide to GST'erise it).?
Anything under $500 won't get hit unless you're a regular importer.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:27 pm

i'm still stuck on Warwick reds...cheap, nasty, bright, last a month nicely (about the longest i can get ANY set of roundwounds to last), and ludicrously CHEAP.

only pain is that i always have to buy a 5-string set (i run a .135 for my drop-D)...so starting to amass a few spare .105's!
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

sonicfantom
Silver Member
Bands / Groups: Church band (Bassist & backup-backup guitarist).

Post by sonicfantom » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:10 pm

goatboy wrote:Is it that they last so long that music shops don't want to stock them perhaps?
I think it's more to do with the fact that it's not very economical to stock them. Let's face it, musicians are a niche market, and little 'ol NZ isn't exactly on top of the population chart. Bassists are an even smaller market. Bassists who are specifically looking for Elixir strings... You get the picture.

Then again, I've noticed that the two music shops I frequent (Music Planet and the Rockshop) never stock the same string brands as each other.
A-boom boom boom boom!