Hex core or Round core?

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
ryla
Gold Member

Hex core or Round core?

Post by ryla » Fri May 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Whats your preference - hex core or round core strings ? For me , its more feel than tone/overtone - still experimenting as there are lots of brands to try - hex core feel less flacid and, for me , more comfortable, but im about to try my preferred brands set of roundcore (i prefer nickle to steel incidently) and compare those to my prefered set of hex core nickles.

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: Rebel without Applause, The Hot Mess, Bamboozle, DTP Trio

Re: Hex core or Round core?

Post by beagle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:57 pm

I've never heard of Hex core... are they widely available?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, GK 800RB, 400RB, Neo412, Neo112, 410T

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Post by model.citizen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:31 pm

doesn't bother me. as long as the strings are stainless, roundwound and last a reasonable amount of time, i'm a happy camper.
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:01 am

some manufactures offer both (like status), some offer one or the other and don't really make much of it, others offer one as a selling point. I've tried both and the hex's are a little stiffer but its not going to make much difference to most players. I've got a set of titanium alloy strings on my Celinders and they're interesting. Lighter and a little more supple than standard stainless and nickle alloy, they also have less mass so are probably a little twangier, as a result.
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

tryseled
Bands / Groups: Blackberry Jam

Post by tryseled » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:01 am

Hey team,
My name is Eddy and I'm new to this board.
I have a slight problem, I have just bought a second hand 6 string bass from trade me and I'm looking for a set of long scale flat wound strings. Can anybody help?
ET

mjwhit
Bronze Member

Post by mjwhit » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:34 am

Hey Eddy.

Ive never wanted 6 string flats, I assume youve been to the local music store? They might be able to order something in for you. Man they wont be cheap either.

My only other sugestion is to head over to nzguitars.co.nz and pm the user cheeseboy777. He's the hero who has all the strings up on trademe, and Im sure he will go out of his way to sort you out. He has excellent prices.

ash
Bronze Member

Post by ash » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:37 pm

Most stings are hex-core, probably 90%+ if I had to guess. The corners of the hexagonal core wire grab the wrap wires better allowing them to be wound tighter, which is probably what gives the stiffer feel. The real reason is apprently that it makes for a more reliable and consistent string. Less likely to have funny buzzes, intonation drama or unravel at the ends.

I quite like the slinky feel of round cores, but I'm not keen on them being so soft that you can feel every fret go past in a long slide.