NZ bass string suppliers

Forum to discuss all other general bass accessories.
foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: NZ bass string suppliers

Post by foal30 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:45 pm

Ta,

have you found someone for the Chch store?

nzsimon
Silver Member

Post by nzsimon » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:47 am

no-one has even replied everyone must be employed
believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see J.R.R Tolkien
Director of Jansen http://www.jansen.co.nz

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:20 pm

:)

Not employed quite yet, but I DO have a new job in Dunedin. I think Foal might have misunderstood who I had recieved the email from.

We met yesterday BTW and we had a bit of a jam together. It was good fun :)
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Post by foal30 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:14 pm

No misunderstanding
I was giving Simon carte blanche to hack into an opposition chain :)

unfortunately he has more grace than me :)

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:22 am

My sister is looking for another job. She manages a clothing store on Colombo Street and she used to manage a Christchurch band for a while. Shall I pass your details on, Simon? :)
Stuff: Shuker Headless MIDI 6, Spector NS5CRFM, Self-built 5 string semi hollow headless, Status Series 1 5 string, Pedulla Pentabuzz, Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, Genz Benz Shuttles, Trace Hexavalve and fEARless F112 cabs

ash
Bronze Member

Post by ash » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Minimum quantities and limited shelf life are probably the reasons they won't get your strings. Apparently most of the American manufacturers are pretty hard-ass on the minimums and like someone said, there's not a whole lot of point in buying a dozen expensive and unusual strings if you're only going to sell one and the rest start rusting in 8 months time.

If there's an upside, at least they had the nads to tell you straight up that they weren't interested in getting them! Some of the distributors I deal with will just ignore your emails altogether if the question is too hard.

The next dirty trick I would consider is to forward that email on to LaBella and see if that stirs up some action. I hear GHS responds quite well in that way. :wink:

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:28 pm

ash wrote: The next dirty trick I would consider is to forward that email on to LaBella and see if that stirs up some action. I hear GHS responds quite well in that way. :wink:
Hehe, well if I ever smelled a cartel and price fixing, I wouldn't hesistate.

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Crazykiwi...... I manage the warehouse of the company that imports La bella strings, and I feel I should tell you about them. First off, we are no longer importing Labella, because Dunlop Strings are our prime consideration. You should know that Labella are a very difficult company to deal with. We have placed orders with them that can arrive up to three years (!) later, and they just ignore email requests for ETAs.
I can sympathise with your case, and I would import them from the US if I were in your shoes. In fact I do import my Lenzner guts and Velvet Garbo strings for my double bass. So long as you deal with a reputable company you will have no worries.

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:57 pm

thanks for that Marty. Suppliers in the US have told me the same thing. Its unfortunate because if they were more freely available I'd buy them more regulary than I do. The bass they're for is probably only going to be used for recording now, specifically because of the string supply issue although if I manage to replace the piezo transducers that situation may change

martyforrer
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Borderline.... country rock
Blues Deluxe... jazz/blues/jump
Cabin Fevre..... Americana
Marty's Juke Joint.... 40s & 50s boogie woogie, rock n roll, jump blues.

Post by martyforrer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Crazykiwi... this is a longshot. Try talking to F-Bass in Canada. As you probably know, he's in the top 10 of boutique bass builders, and last I knew all his basses were shipped with LaBella SuperSteps. He may have a good supply chain for them and may sell them, or be prepared to sell you some. good luck.

Just as a point of interest, the Yamaha 6 stringers with piezos in the saddles.... I wonder what strings they're using.

Crazykiwi
Gold Member

Post by Crazykiwi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:03 pm

If their piezos work properly, probably the bog standard kind. :) Part of the problem I have is that the guy who made this bass filed the graphtec saddles down, against their advice. He's got some replacements but has taken nearly a year to send them through...

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Post by Jazzbass » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:47 pm

foal30 wrote:unfortunately he has more grace than me :)
My garden spade has more grace than you, Reuben!! :lol: