Gold Member

Re: BPNZ MEET Sat 2nd Oct - North Shore @ New Brew

Post by john » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Excellent. You must have a really good set list

Dan

Post by Dan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Harley wrote:
Dan wrote:.. Funnily enough am playing at new brew on Wednesday for a random duo thing....l!
Very echoey place to try and tame sound quality wise. Good luck
Yeah, filled in with Allegro a couple weeks back there, and did a Jonny Love gig there a couple years back. Definitely not the prettiest sound!

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:21 pm

john wrote:Excellent. You must have a really good set list
We do, but we need another 30 catchy groovy songs with a bit of pace to offer more choice.

We have put aside a few slow songs for the corporate "sit down to dinner" gigs and pre let-your-hair-down at weddings, but the bars with age range from 35 - 60 we find like it full on all night, with just smattering of the slower ones.

At our age it's a race to see who tires out first - us or them :mrgreen:
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:55 am

Dan wrote:Ah I've got a gig tonight now. Funnily enough am playing at new brew on Wednesday for a random duo thing. hope the gig tonight goes well!
What time are you playing Dan?

It was a good night and the crowd were really loving it.
Harley's band was very good. Good songs, nice arrangements, v good lead vocals and solid BV's. Everyone in the band plays well and Harley holds it all together really solid with some very nice embellishements here and there.

Your bass tone sounded really smooth Harley.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you were playing a 5 String Ibanez BTB + Eden Head + Bill Fitzmaurice 12" cab?

The pa speakers used were Harley's Bill Fitzmaurice designed cabinets and I'd have to say the sound was really good for such a difficult sounding room.... and bearing in mind they didn't have a dedicated sound man.

I've played there once about 2-3 years ago and the sound wasn't good.

Twas good to catch up again Harley 8)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:50 pm

beagle wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you were playing a 5 String Ibanez BTB + Eden Head + Bill Fitzmaurice 12" cab?
Correct - BTB1005 ( Japanese ) 5str, Nordstrand Dual Coils, Audere on board EQ. Eden WT550 Head. 2 x Bill Fitzmaurice Jack12's

Note the keyboardist had my Jack 10 for a monitor, sitting on the subs.

For those interested the speaker set-up was 2 x Titan39s, 16" wide with 1 10" BP102 per sub and 2 DR250's on stands with DL2510 driver/20 element melded piezo array.

We always get a good review on the sound of that system, we're very pleased with it. and as you heard, it's great for difficult rooms.

Nice to know that bass sound was smooth, that's what I aim for :mrgreen:

Thanks Steve it was great to meet up with you and hope your wife is feeling better now. Your advice on the Panadol Lemsips got me through the night thanks, but today I'm off work, the cold having got much the better of me now.
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info

BluesBass
Gold Member

Post by BluesBass » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Very sorry I couldn't make it, I always love to hear other forumities play... but my spare time is pretty scarce these days (geez - whose isn't) and the enemy has beening doing her pieces recently.

alanp
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Frankencopter

Post by alanp » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:46 am

Sorry, I missed this. Haven't looked at bpnz much recently, been too busy. Would probably have come and checked it out.
Missed the email about it too - went to my gmail account. Might have to change my bpnz email to my work address, so I don't miss things like this.
Will try to make the next one.
Harley, do you have any more gigs there coming up?

Harley
Gold Member

Post by Harley » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:23 pm

We had a call at the last minute for Friday, which we fulfilled so I guess it won't be long before we are back there.

I'll keep everyone posted

alanp
Bronze Member
Bands / Groups: Frankencopter

Post by alanp » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:07 am

Sweet, will try to make it.