THEM CROOKED VULTURES - JPJ...

Gear Reviews by Forum Members. Got a great piece of gear? Tell us about it!
definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

THEM CROOKED VULTURES - JPJ...

Post by definite » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:03 am

I bought the new 'supergroup' self titled album by THEM CROOKED VULTURES yesterday (Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, John Paul Jones).

To be honest its a good solid rock record but I struggle to say its much more than that...

Such a high calibre of musicians always sets a high expectation to be 'blown away' and I can't say its done that.

Part of it is that Joshua Homme is also singing which instantly makes it sound like Queens of the Stone Age (who are awesome but I wasn't expecting it to be so obviously like them!)

dannowilso
Bronze Member

Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES - JPJ...

Post by dannowilso » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:46 am

Yeah I've been thinking of buying it also just to see what the combination of these three great artists sounds like.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 H Honeyburst, Boss-TU 2, Boss-ODB 3, SanSamp bass DI, SWR 350x, Warwick 211pro Cab.

model.citizen
Gold Member
MySpace Page: www.myspace.com/elbajotheband
Skype Address: model.citizen
Bands / Groups: el bajo

Re: THEM CROOKED VULTURES - JPJ...

Post by model.citizen » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:41 pm

heard similar reports myself (haven't actually listened to them apart from the snippets online a while back).

the thing is that you can slap a handful of famous musos together, let them take a steaming crap on stage, and the crowd will always go wild.

even Bono could release an album of real lousy Tuvan throat singing and still sell millions. unfortunately anything with Homme on vox it'll always sound QOTSA-ish...
i like rickenbackers. and fridges.

http://www.facebook.com/elbajotheband