Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless

Gear Reviews by Forum Members. Got a great piece of gear? Tell us about it!
joppo

Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless

Post by joppo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:36 pm

I’ve had this unit for a few months now so time for a review. Purchased on a bit of whim really, but justified it on the basis I could walk around and hear what I sounded like from the desk. Runs on 9V dc, so would fit on a pedal board if I had one. Plug the receiver into the instrument input on the amp, plug the transmitter into your bass and you’re away. This is the cheapest unit in the Line 6 range and probably the most plastic. It is reasonable rugged, but I wouldn’t want to drop the transmitter unit on the floor. It has 6 channels and a cable tone simulator to simulate the small loss of signal along the length of a normal instrument lead. I struggle to hear any difference – maybe a small loss of the highs which might be more obvious with a guitar. It is designed to be used with a B string but I don’t have a 5-string so can’t comment on that. What I can say is that it works really well with a 4-string. The range is supposed to be 33m (the range on the more expensive units is over twice that, and they have twice as many channels). I can play from anywhere in the house without the signal dropping out. I’ve probably been about 30m away from my amp in a hall and it has been fine. The transmitter uses two AA batteries and they last really well. Line 6 says you should get 8 hours out of a set, and I don’t have any reason to doubt that. I have run them right out once and there is no warning from a sound point of view – just a sudden pop and then nothing. The LED on the transmitter changes colour to say you are nearly out, but that clips on your back pocket or strap so not something you really see happen. That brings me to the main weakness. The clip on the transmitter is really strong but the way in sits on the strap tends to lever it slowly off. To fix this, I got some velcro and a black wrist band and made a thingy that the transmitter clips onto, and then I put the wrist band over the top of the whole thing (see the photos). It sit rocks solid there and the wrist band also protects it from any out of control guitarists!

So to summarise, it is a great unit – it sounds great and I’ve had no dropout problems over a reasonable distance. This model is pretty much aimed at the infrequent gigger (like me) and as such looks like you could crack the case if you dropped it onto something hard. It may well be very strong, but I’m not going to drop it to find out. Now that I’ve got the way it sits on my strap sorted, I don’t really notice it is there. Very cool!
DSC05986.JPG
DSC05988.JPG

foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Re: Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless

Post by foal30 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:40 pm

nice one Nev
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

Harley
Gold Member

Re: Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless

Post by Harley » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm glad you posted this Nev,

I am considering getting one as I do the sound for our group from the stage and I need to get way out front without some smart-arse tugging on my lead etc.

I think I'd go for the next model up though, the G50
Retired authorised builder of Bill Fitzmaurice Design Speaker cabs for New Zealand - http://www.billfitzmaurice.info