Boss ODB-3

Gear Reviews by Forum Members. Got a great piece of gear? Tell us about it!
foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Boss ODB-3

Post by foal30 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Boss Bass Overdrive.
made in Taiwan
product of Roland Corp.

runs on a 9v Battery or Adapter. Rog informs me that you do not need a specific Roland version of this as long as the Adapter's ballistics are sweet.
It worked fine with 3 different (match spec) Adapters I could find around home. I did NOT do a battery life check.

It's pretty easy to run, you got input and output, not even I could cock that up, and it is made of metal, good and sturdy.It has no "feet" but the base of the unit has a form of "rubber grip" around the edge to prevent slippage.
You need to step on the Pedal to activate it, as opposed to being in the vague vicinity of it to turn on.

4 Dials or Pots, one of which is concentric.
Level EQ Balance Gain
the EQ has high and low, the Balance allows you to level in how much OD signal you want. Because this Effect is pretty quick to colour your Bass this is a good idea, I'd just want it a bit more "inclusive" I guess.

I used 2 different Bass Guitars and 3 Different amps to trial different combinations of sound and techniques.On smaller wattage combo's I found this unit overpowers very quickly, and you get a pretty awful and harsh digital whine.

On my Ashdown rig though a lot of fun was to be had.

the Level is what you are sending to your amp, and is neutral sounding, little if none colour on straight tone. Where the attention here is required is with setting your on and off modes volume... It's impossible to fix "mid-flight" so you need to have a clear idea of what your output is when turning on and off. Yes it pays to experiment and if you planning on gigging with it you need to do this at Band Practice.

I used this approach on an Active Bartolini Guild 5 string, selecting the Pixie's tune "Hey!". the unit tracks the low B string well, and using a medium pick with the settings of the ODB-3 on
Eq low 50% high 50% balance 60% and gain 40%. I thought I had not only useful but nearly tasteful tone. It was neither brittle and the variations across the strings was not noticable.

Using a maple neck '76 PBass with flatwounds on Aerosmiths "Sweet Emotion" using the effect only on the unison interlude again provided some nice bite, without taking the Arse out of the natural fundamentals this Bass produces. Here the unit's setting was 20% 50% 30% 30% and I added some Valve pre-amp from the Ashdown.

the 10" speakers first notice the unit at quite (suprized me this) low levels. Only 20% bal and 30% gain is giving you the start of the effects colour.

staying with the PBass and unit setings at Low 10% High 40% Bal 40% and gain 30% I approximated Jack Bruce on "Sunshine of your Love". this had grind but no fart... if you know Cream's stuff I hope you understand what I mean here.
adding a lot more low signal and including the Ashdown pre-amp again I got more Butler/Sabbath riffs happening particular utilising a Pick again.

my favourite tone was Low and High on 50% B 35% G 50%, 15% preamp and used the medium pick again.

Going back to the Active 5 I tried Black Crows "Conspricey" and Audioslaves "Cochise". settings on 40%/40% 50%/ and 60% w/pick gave the Crowes tune a real good grind and switching back to fingers, laying down the B and G to 30% meant the Tim C sound was getting near enough. Well near enough for the kids to laugh at there silly old man hammering the slide into the High E. Uh hum.

You'd probably have to be a fwit to break the unit, if you tweak it, ie: take time with it, I'd be very surprised if you can't find something cool.
It does in my opinion need a Limiter with it, putting the ODB-3's gain to 75% is going to heat your input Dude, but a little moderation and it'll be no problem.If your gigging at high volume I'd seriously reccomend the Limiter.

It probably needs to be said I'm not looking for Heavy/IndustrialOD sounds and I want arse end absolutely not brittle hi-fi nonesense. This unit provides that after learning how to run it.

The other thing that I have noticed and you can all laugh at me here is that the line-up of the signal chain is important.
I went Guitar-Wah-ODB3-EQ/PREAMP-Limiter-Amp.
this is my pick anyway... I could be dreaming, it just sounded different when hooked up other ways around.

all in all I am pretty impressed with the ODB-3 and if you are paitent with this unit I think you can find some good sounds that arn't OTT

foal30
Gold Member

Re: Boss ODB-3

Post by foal30 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:44 am

http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7360

some fairly heavy duty thinking and reading here
despite my inability to understand any of it, I really like these in-depth type threads.
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

zero
Silver Member

Post by zero » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:21 am

My thoughts pretty much echo yours, foal ( :shock: )

I'm recording the bass tracks of an EP today, on which I'll be using this pedal a fair bit. I will post my experiences of the recording process here, because having played with it in a full band context, I know that it can be damned fiddly setting it up right.

pins
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: Naked Gun (Covers),still just filling in on bass after 26 years.
Butt Scratch (Bus Crash) originals band.

Post by pins » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Hey thanks for the review foal,i have one of these pedals and your tips on the settings are great and useful to me ! at last i can get some real usable sounds from it ,cheers :D

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:22 am

[quote="zero"]My thoughts pretty much echo yours, foal ( :shock: )

I'm recording the bass tracks of an EP today, on which I'll be using this pedal a fair bit. I will post my experiences of the recording process here, because having played with it in a full band context, I know that it can be damned fiddly setting it up right.[/quote]

yes be good to hear
release date for EP is?
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

zero
Silver Member

Post by zero » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:38 am

Hopefully by the end of the month, but I'm not sure - our guitar guy is a bit of a perfectionist in the mixing stages. That said, it's not gonna be like a Chinese Democracy.