The Fender Bass Manual

Gear Reviews by Forum Members. Got a great piece of gear? Tell us about it!
Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

The Fender Bass Manual

Post by Fenderfan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Bought the book, 'The Fender Bass Manual' by Paul Balmer, online, after being indecisive and procrastinating about whether i should or not. Once it arrived, read it straight away and thought with all the info I've gained from it, even with my limited experience, there's got to be more that could benefit from this book, be they Fender mad or not. So a review was in order i thought!
Purchased online from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk for about $35 nz and with free delivery worldwide (a plus and one of the main reasons i spend hours, and alot of $$ on this site) it was a reasonable purchase, and the hardback arrived before xmas as was promised.
After a forward and introduction on the way the Fender precision changed bass playing for the world, by Carol Kaye, it's straight into the different models. From the original '51 'slab' to the 57' classic and the Jazz, an in depth 'what's it got' as such, leads into types and differences.
Next, and the part that caught my eye, was the setup your own precision and jazz. This is somewhat broken up to include retrofitting a different bridge and hipshot bass xtender. Included is a few chapters on maintanence, stageside repairs, three monthly checks etc. Throughout the book is also 'Tech tips' from 'world renowned bass experts' John and Andy Diggins(?).
Then I get into more serious 'mods'. A step by step guide to a fretless conversion carried out on a squier jazz, pickup replacement, both passive and a active conversion. It seems all basses are covered(pun intended!) for setup and mods, nuts, truss rods etc..... so I think although I may not go the way of converting mine to frettless at this stage, a general setup and maintanence bible I may have!
A case study of different basses is included, from '50's, to todays new models including a genuine '53 that was owned by John Entwistle. Even squiers are covered with just as much info as the earlier models.
A who's who and their Fenders' covers Elvis (?? yeah thats what I thought - ???) to Jamerson, Jack Bruce, Pastorius to Steve Bailey is followed by a serial number chart and seemingly helpful appendix (could also be due to my limited experience!)

So a very helpful read IMHO, as are all the 'Haynes' manuals I have come across previously - Yes thats right! The same Haynes that publish the car manuals found at Repco!!!
I think its a must for those wanting to tinker with their own Precision or Jazz, and may not have all the know how, or just a bass nut wanting to know more!
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!

Jazzbass
Gold Member

Re: The Fender Bass Manual

Post by Jazzbass » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:50 pm

Sound cool. I used to correspond with Carol many years ago. Nice person. When I complimented her for being a hottie way back when, she LOL'd and said her buck teeth stopped her ever being one.

Fenderfan
Silver Member
MySpace Page: myspace.com/snowblindnz
Bands / Groups: Snowblind

Re: The Fender Bass Manual

Post by Fenderfan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Hahaha! :D Sorry if I blabbed on a bit too... :wink:
Fender MIA Precision, Squier Jazz, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Ashdown ABM 1x15, 2 x DIY Jack 112 now complete!