Icaro - EP

Gear Reviews by Forum Members. Got a great piece of gear? Tell us about it!
foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Icaro - EP

Post by foal30 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:39 am

5 track Indie release from Auckland based band.

Instrumental mood music and not something I could easily reference or are used to listening too. All tracks follow the same vibe and while it sounds layered the group has also managed to incorporate both 'space' and 'quietness'.

The guitar is distinctly 'non-rock' if that makes any sense, it almost operates as a texture in the way a string pad might. I quite like this approach, as above it certainly was something different or new to me. I'd venture it requires both control and organized thinking to create such sounds as opposed to busting chops.

Drummer is good but for the most I'm unsure if the recorded tone is my bag. I'd probably prefer far more arse end/bottom. However it does help create separation between the Bass Guitar which as we all know is the single most vital ingredient for any band.

Hayden's playing is in line with Ashwin's guitar in that it is hardly overt more functional in it's mood or vibe setting. Liked the R-V-b7-b6 line on "Sonmi-451" cut, less sure on the pick w/ roundwounds tone.

all in all a good listen and certainly an ear opener for this old fart. Other higher profile bands have been cited as direct influences on Icaro but I don't see that as a bad thing.

Band has profile and links to the recordings on there page in the Bands section here
http://www.bassplayer.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2455
Slave to the Rhythm Changes

zero
Silver Member

Re: Icaro - EP

Post by zero » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks for the review, Foal!