Turn it Up sampler C.D.

Gear Reviews by Forum Members. Got a great piece of gear? Tell us about it!
foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Turn it Up sampler C.D.

Post by foal30 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:17 pm

Turn It Up Tour 2007 Sampler E.P.

6 tracks

"Realness"and "Takeoff" - A Rockwell Odyssey
"Bring it Back"and "Chill" - Hangman
"Soul Supplied Freedom"and "As Soon As" - LoJac

Well presented package and an excellent selection of like sounding artists. An electronic base with live instrumentation, all pretty much funky soul. It is nice to see indie bands working together to release original material, particularly as a vehicle to promote a live tour.Not only is the musical style "modern" so to is the recording, so kudos to Studio 166 and Kog Transmissions for the mastering.

Cut wise after a half dozen listens I'll nominate "Bring it Back" as my favorite. I like the drumming, I like the unison riff, I'm pretty sure it is the only tune I have ever heard Richie Cunningham sampled on, and on Bass Guitar is BP.co.nz's very on Definite or Mr Strathdee. 'tis a low groove, stylistically on it for the market I guess it is aimed at, and not only is the tone smooth, it is smooth playing...dynamically the the bass part stays down and I think this approach is a winner.

Now hurl rocks all you want for me putting this up on this site of all places, but the Guitar work on both the two LoJac tracks I'm very impressed with. No monster chop carry-on, just some extremely tasty phrases and a very warm tone.It's also almost understated in the mix...very rare for a Guitarist to let this happen...so lets hope it starts a trend!There is two Guitarists listed on the Bands internet presence, Tom Everett and Dan Collins. I like Huia's vocals too and the interplay with the Male vocal, which I believe is provided by the Bass Player William Tracey. So big thumbs up for a singing bass player, never an easy job at the best of times.

So for $10 if you can handle a little rap vocal and the concept of samples, place an order. The breakdown on "As Soon AS" is worth the price of admission alone.

http://www.turnitup.co.nz

foal30
Gold Member

Re: Turn it Up sampler C.D.

Post by foal30 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:20 pm

ooops, in the "For Sale" section of this site there is ordering guide too.

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:36 pm

hot damn, i only just now discovered this review foal30 - thanks alot! we appreciate the effort and feedback!

:-)

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 am

you can see the Rockwell video on Juice TV
I've forgotten the name of the cut!
but it is good to see INDIE NZ on mainstream broadcast.

definite
Gold Member
Bands / Groups: HANGMAN, THE FUNKY NORTH, DJ DEFINITE, THE REALISTICS

Post by definite » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:48 pm

foal30 wrote:you can see the Rockwell video on Juice TV
I've forgotten the name of the cut!
but it is good to see INDIE NZ on mainstream broadcast.
Mikey Rockwells got 2 self made vids out now "Turn Ya Dial Up" and "Grateful" - go the indies!