Morley Pro Series II Bass Wah

Gear Reviews by Forum Members. Got a great piece of gear? Tell us about it!
foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Morley Pro Series II Bass Wah

Post by foal30 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:40 pm

alright, bear with me I'm losing my gear review virginity here.

Normally I steer way the f... from anything with "Pro Series" in it's merchandise rant let alone it's name, but in the search for some Wah goodness I stumbled across this wee beauty.

Well it's not actually that wee and it is heavy, it's actually made of this really strong stuff called steel, like I cant find any plastic on it Man!
So it's not easy to break or you need some 25stone momma to crush it, which is a very good thing.
The Pedal mechanism itself is got a mansized spring, sturdy like, you need a little boot action to get the toe end down. I like this rather than a light breeze setting off the pedal... if you want to voice the effect you have too mean it.

It's very light on features or bits to confuse you, there is
1x output
1x input
1x 9V Adapter Input
1x Level knob
1x LED (which indicates pedal decrease/on)

Now in my Wah experiments I have found that what I consider imperative factors are;

Volume drop between on/off
Tone Shape/Bypass when in chain but not in operation

this unit scores really well in both these areas, particulary in volume stakes, very little drop off at all. This is important in a live setting.
As is the "purity" of your uneffected tone, I guess we all know some 6 stringers who pack a sad at any minute change in there percieved tone style, I think it is good for all Bass Players to have an idea of "their" sound too, or at least be working too that point of individuallity. So by adding effects to our signal , we need to be aware of the changes (even subtle) this makes.

The Level feature is a nice touch, lets you dial in the amount of Wah you want, invariably this will creep up as you get more comortable with the unit. It dosent get to brittle/mettalic/distorted at high level, but certainly dosen't approach Bootsy Collins level of "squasheness/underwater vibe".

Battery life is not so flash, obviousley too prolong life unplug your leads when not in use, but using a 9V Adapter I found no descernible tone difference , or addition of hum to my overall sound. This is not always my experience with effect units, and I would hope it is realisitic of this Pedals Range, not just this particular unit.

So if your in the market for something to Funk up your sound , or just something to have a bit of a laugh with give this Wah a try. Be prepared to develop "WAH BUTTOCK" as the muscles in your left cheek get a good work out, but hey no pain no gain eh?

as for price and stockists I am not sure if that is kosher on this site.
I will say that $wise I thought for the reliability and flavour of this pedal it was excellent value.

So, go alright?

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:55 am

Hey great review mate so thx! ;)

These are really good pedals. I'd also like to add that they use light sensors to measure the pedal position and not pots. That should mean that these should still work nice and smoothly after years of use while others that use pots might be getting scratchy from corrosion.

I tried finding a pic to put on but there were few on google/images and all too small. If you are able to supply a photo then I'd be happy to host and add it for ya. just email me

Steve :)

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:18 pm

Ta for the bit on the light sensor.

Normally for a Wah it's pots, this Morley design does away with them, and from my experience it does greatly enhance the unit.

My Guitarist mates tell me that Wah pots ( or wheels?) don't last that long... maybe 18 months - 2 years. I've had this unit from new for 7 years now , so while it would not get the pounding of a 6stringer it still stacks up well.

I dont have a digital camera (frown) but the next time someone is over here with the right technology I will see if I can get a photo supplied. ta.

John50

Re: Morley Pro Series II Bass Wah

Post by John50 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:35 pm

Four years back I brought a Morley (made in USA) volume foot pedal.
Built very strong, but at the dearer end of what is available. However they are still much better value for money than cheaper options.

As mentioned above re the Morley Bass Wah pedal, the volume pedal also has the light sensor system rather than a pot.
The other major advantage aside from not wearing out the pot. is this:
The line for volume increase is straight (in direct proportion to how far the pedal is pushed down). Very predictable and uniform. Whereas with a pot. you often get 50% or more increase in the last 10 or 15% of the control movement.

I hope that makes sense.
Anyhow, from my experience with a Morley Pedal, I would rate them very highly.
Cheers
John

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:57 pm

here, I hope, is a link to yours truly stomping on said wah

www.virb.com/equus

you want to click on the cut called "Firing Line".

Randomplay
Silver Member

Post by Randomplay » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:32 am

That sounds mean... im not really a fan o wahs, but more to do with people over doing it.(i sometimes get the urge to use my bass as a club after extended periods o wah wah wah wah :evil: ) I like the sounds youre putting out there. 8)

beagle
Site Admin
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Post by beagle » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:16 pm

Yeah I like it... really suits that song. Nice! 8)
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:35 am

STEINBERGER goodness Steve, STEINBERGER.

beagle
Site Admin

Post by beagle » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:08 pm

:lol: Sounds good whatever you're drinking!
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz