Ampeg BA115 Combo

Gear Reviews by Forum Members. Got a great piece of gear? Tell us about it!
foal30
Gold Member
MySpace Page: myspace is owned by Lucifer himself
Bands / Groups: Pony Jones

Ampeg BA115 Combo

Post by foal30 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:43 pm

you may have seen a few of these floating around on TM, I've borrowed a mates to write this review if anyones looking at getting a cheap as Combo.

1x15" speaker
1x Horn
100 Watts

passive and active instrument inputs
3 band EQ , plus 5 preset EQ selections

CD line in, cannon line out, headphone jack.

No speaker extension and the handle is top stow which is a bit ambitious given the combo weighs a good 60 pounds.

Pretty much plug in and play, I like 15"s for sure, less tolerant of horns and it's a real pity you can't switch that thing off.It hisses a little as well, plus it's noticeable changing preset selection and switching the unit off, audible clicks and pops.

The presets are not balanced either, selection 1 is clearly at a lower volume than the other 4, but with using a Limiter I was able to smooth this out fairly well. Selections 1 and 2 are both cool, good meaty tone and very much the go for a flatwound strung instrument. Get some soul or blues goodness happening real quick and also quite nice on some traditional walking Jazz lines.

Adding in some serious midrange with the 3 band EQ was good too, nice attack with a little grind for a Jazz Bass and pumping 8ths with a pick was doable indeed. I found the more tops I added in the more the horn annoyed me though. I'm seldom looking for a hi-fi tone so this may be cool with you.

Used live the tilt back feature could be handy, but at only 100W you'll be surely needing reinforcement. It's a loud 100W though :D , you know how some amps seem "louder"?

this range has apparently been updated, I think the new model is BA115HP which goes to 220W, has a built in tuner , LPad attenuator for the horn.www.ampeg.com

Look for the price I've seen these going for you can do a lot worse I reckon. I've got a "Bluesish"session between Xmas-New Years that I'm going to use this on and I'll gig it with a couple of "folky" 3 pieces. It's hardly a "modern" amp but I'm guessing that's not what your after if your looking at Ampeg. Play a flatwound strung P Bass and I think you be well pleased with this combo.

beagle
Site Admin
Skype Address: steve_sussex
Bands / Groups: Bands: The Bravos, Black Dog, Los Diablos, Rebel without Applause, The Buskers

Re: Ampeg BA115 Combo

Post by beagle » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:14 am

Great review foal 8)
I wonder if the horn could be simply disconnected? ... or a switch added to turn it on or off?
Musicman Sterling, Fender Jazz, Cort SJB-3 Acoustic, GK 800RB, 400RB, 2x Neo112-II, 410T http://stevesussex.bassplayer.co.nz
Sussex Design http://www.sussexdesign.co.nz

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:33 pm

it's got good "throw" too, probably due to the 15", nice carry in a long room.

the top load handle is pants BTW. wrong for weight and size of the combo.

foal30
Gold Member

Post by foal30 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:12 pm

and I'm not moaning for the sake of it about the horn, there is an in depth analysis of such problems by our mates on TalkBass.
some have disconnected the thing entirely

East Ring

Post by East Ring » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:28 pm

An old thread I know but I've just joined BPNZ and have recently bought a second-hand BA115HPT combo off the dreaded Trademe. Actually the trade itself was a pleasant experience due (no doubt) to the fact that I was dealing with another bass player.

The HPT seems to have all the features of the unit reviewed by Foal but it's got a bit bit more grunt at 220 watts and is a little heavier. Playing with two guitarists and an enthusiastic drummer in a reasonably large practice room, it's just idling on lowish to mid volume.

To help with the weight its stacked on since the 115, there's a couple of beefy spring-loaded handles on its sides and four removable castors to push it around on. No tilt-back stand as per the 115 but maybe (and i must try this out) the two rear castors could be removed to achieve this?

The "T" in its name stands for tube which is another change for this model. Great tone (yes, cliched I know!) and in my humble opinion, well worth the premium you'll probably pay over many other 15"/1" combo's.